Starter relay mod question ..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Starter relay mod question ..

Post by Timmo »

ive done this on my td, when had starter issues, also my bx has it done,
its a simple job, iirc i've a 70amp relay on it, the shop i got the relay from (electrical supplies shop) gave me the commectors for the pins too, sods law states even if you have them, can picture them in your mind as to where they are, you wont be able to find them when you need them! ;-)
the worst part is the removal of the nut on the starter, 8mm rings a bell, small amount of space and on the activa i'd guess you'd have the plemum/inlet chamber to get round too?? (i remember how the job on the bx went!!)
muchly depending on the starter feed nut side of things, can be a 10 minute job, the feed wire can be peeled out of the convoluted housing back to allow it up next to the battery, mine sits between the battery and the plate that holds the airbox inplace on the td iirc.

its a worthy job to do on any older car, can give a couple of years extra on the starter,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, all the TCTs I know, including mine, have pathetically slow starters... Mine is almost saying 'Oh, do I have to?...'

Never fails to start though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:Mine fails to turn ... even pathetically would be a plus! Battery fully charged.
I see..

Mike, have you tried 'hot-wiring' the starter solenoid - connecting it straight to the battery - and seeing if that makes a difference? That's effectively what the starter relay mod does.

Also, measure the voltage at the starter itself, at the point where the big thick wire connects to the solenoid, when attempting to crank and seeing if it's gone very low.

Sounds like it is the starter that's duff in your case :(

They're fun to swap in an Activa...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...