Picasso Turbo Replacement (Not EGR)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomthered
My Cars:

Picasso Turbo Replacement (Not EGR)

Post by tomthered »

3 days ago my car (a 2006 model 1.6 HDI Xsara Picasso) decided to go into limp mode as the engine management light came on and it did not seem to have any top end power when moving through the gears. I took it in for a diagnostic (not got the output) but he assured me it was the EGR valve sticking. he then proceeded to ask where I got my fuel from and I replied supermarket. he then said that would be the issue because it did not have an additive in to burn off the deposits on the EGR valve. he said he had added some stuff to help with this and recommended that for the next three fills I use Shell V power fuel and try and blast the car at legal limit to see if it will burn off the deposits and free the EGR.

He reset the engine management light and charged £78 for the privelege!!

Anyway this stayed on even when I drove to work Tuesday. However, on my way home it went off and stayed off. I drove around yesterday again to work but it came back on and has stayed on this morning. My work is 15 miles from my home down a motorway and takes 30 mins, so I reckon the engine is getting heated well on this journey.

I have discussed this with Will and he says that it is more than likely the EGR valve thats at fault, as it is not getting enough air to allow power to the engine, because the valve adjusts this. Where this is concerned I am clueless, as I thought it might be the turbo but he says not.

The garage guy has suggested that the valve may need stripping and cleaning but that is not something I could do (£150-£200 for the privelege). My son in law could but he says it is an engine drop from what he has read.

Can anyone advise how difficult this is? I am so frustrated as I don't have a clue how to resolve this. I am aslo concerned that this may not be the issue.

When driving it seems ok but when you put your foot down there is no power so I could not even chance overtaking someone.

:( #-o
Last edited by tomthered on 01 Jan 2015, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Picasso and EGR valve

Post by citronut »

£150-£200 sound a bit steep if its the same as the 03 1.6 HDI

i have just last week removed, cleaned and refitted the EGR on an 03 1.6 HDI Xsara Picasso, took aronud 30 to 45 minutes in all,

on this car it is situated at the N/S back cornner of the cylinder head, and only held in place by two very long 8mm ( spanner size ) bots, plus you have to unclip the metal pipe, which is held in place by a snap type clip/clamp
plus you have to unplug the electrical connector,

also be aware of the meatal gasket between the valve and the head
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Thanks for replying Malcolm. I though it didn't look that difficult from the replacements on Ebay. Do you think that would resolve the issue? I would have thought it was in a similar place but will see if I can see it. I don't mind an hours work. Do I need to buy any special cleaner to do it and does it need greasing or anything before replacement? Shame I dont live near you :rofl2: would cetainly make life easier. I assume its near where you take the air filter out then? Also you mentioned a metal gasket, does this need replacing or why have you mentioned that, is it to stop it falling into an irretrievable place?

At the moment am so pigged off because the car has behave immaculately up to now and in all the 6 Xsara Picassos I have had I have never had this issue, ever. Is it truly caused by using supermarket fuels and if so should I put some sort of additive in once a month to clean it?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's a good effort Malc - might be a bit more access on a Xsara Pic than either our C4 or 307 - where it looks like a right mare! The one on the 307 is noisy at shut down, and I am not sure about the C4, but some suspicion that it might not be too crash hot either..... suspect I might have to do both next summer.

You really need to get it back on the diag, Tom, and see what it really says. If there is no one nearby, you can buy one for not that much more than the garage charged you for a single session!!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you do need to shoehorn the air filter box out of the way/from behind the engine

the mention of the metal gasket is so you dont loose it down the back of the engine,

once i had it on the beck i removed the servo held on by 4 small torx screws, then you can give the EGR a good squirting inside and out with carb cleaner,

i did find the shaft the servo fork plrongs sit over has a bush/bearing at each end that had rode along the shaft, so were not guiding the shaft through its tracks correctly,
i just slide them back to each end of the shaft and into the two channels at each side of the EGR bore/thoat,

on refitting the servo i found i had to locate the fork prongs then rotate the servo body a little to line it up the the fixing screw holes,

if you send me the last 8 digits of you chassius/VIN No. i will look were it is located on service citroen
Regards, malcolm.

tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Sorry about the late reply due to playing Santa for the 10 grandkids!!

Malcolm was the symptoms on your picasso the same as mine where there seems to be a lack of power when you floor the accelerator? The last 8 digits are 25823389. I have removed the lid from the air cleaner so I assume the box just pulls up, but how the hell do you get in to it? RichardW I could ask Will after Christmas if he would run it on it. The engine fault light has disappeared again now, but still no signs of it cleaning the crap off. If its that easier is it worth investing in a new one or is this to eliminate the issue?

I assume its number 1?

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/att ... ps-407.jpg
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Just a query but if this is removed is there an issue just cutting out a piece of coke can to go over the gasket and thus stop it ever getting blocked and gunged up again or does it throw out an error and stick the eml on?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:Just a query but if this is removed is there an issue just cutting out a piece of coke can to go over the gasket and thus stop it ever getting blocked and gunged up again or does it throw out an error and stick the eml on?
I believe all the 1.6HDi motors get annoyed if you blank the EGR.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Does it sense it in someway as the egr would still function just not be allowed to flow gas thru?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the car i did failed the MOT on emissions, the first thing i found was the No. 1 ( well what they call No. 1 these days, gear box end of engine ) injector had a pile of coal/coke around its base/mounting point, this indicated the injector seals are leaking,
after sorting the seals plugged my DIS-LEXIA up it, one fault that came up was relating to the EGR valve,

so this is why i cleaned it on this car

the one in your link certainly is the same as the one i did,

here is OE price and part No. on your chassis/VIN No.

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
1618NR VALVE R.G.E 293.01 GBP 351.61 GBP 351.61 GBP

going by the price of these i would try cleaning it first
Regards, malcolm.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:Does it sense it in someway as the egr would still function just not be allowed to flow gas thru?
The Siemens system on my older Berlingo senses EGR flow rate or some such nonsense. If it doesn't sense any flow, it gets peeved and throws the eml on and goes into limp mode. I imagine the more modern systems have an even more peevish ECU to stop anyone fiddling with it at all.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I believe you can blank the EGR on at least some 1.6 HDis - there are plenty of blanking plates on e-bay anyway. Ones with DPF might get upset about not being able to re-gen the filter, as they vary the EGR flow to get the necessary re-gen temperature, and may not be to able to if the EGR is blanked. EML will still be on if the valve is stuck out of position however, and this may lead to limp mode anyway. You can get replacement valves from e-bay for under a ton (new).
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the one i worked on although its a 1.6 110 it aint got a DPFas its an early 110
Regards, malcolm.

tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Guys would mine have a DPF if it is not the 110BHP model? Where would it be and what does it look like? I did think of the blanking plate as they are not more than £3.00 and I have seen a replacement EGR valve for £70.00 here

Code: Select all

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231072256738?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It has the same part number suitability as what was suggested by Malcolm. However, I still cannot believe something like this stops you having power, as I cannot get my head around it but accept you guys with your greater knowledge know better. I also read a post elsewhere that they had blanked off the EGR and it solved their problem. The only issue was that the EGR valve should be in the correct position: so what position should it be in?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

No DPF on yours Tom, according to service.citroen. You've possibly got restricted power because the car is in limp mode - just blanking the EGR won't restore it, as whatever the fault with the EGR, the ECU will still see it, and put the light on / limp mode.
Richard W