No heat - AX GT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Interwired

No heat - AX GT

Post by Interwired »

[:(] Wive's 89 AX GT has decided that as its winter, its not going to give out any heat anymore from its interior vents.
Is there a common reason for this on the AX....heater selenoids ?
Thanks,
David
89 Cit AX GT
91 BMW 535is
87 VW Golf GTi
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Check the water level first - low water and the first thing to go is the heater.
If the water level is OK, then there is most likely a fault with the water valve or flap (depending on which the AX uses - probably a flap). Might have to strip down half the dash to get to it though...
Low water level = leak. Raditor, hoses and head gasket to check.
Could also be that the thermostat has failed open and the water is never really getting warm.
Plenty to go at!
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

And the slight possibility that the heater matrix is blocked. Get the engine hot , select heat on the dash, and feel both the pipes in the engine bay that go into the rear bulkhead. If one is a significantly cooler than the other, chances are the matrix is blocked/full of gunk and debris.
Wait till the engine /cooling system has cooled.
Release the pressure.
Disconnect the hoses to the heater matrix.
Use normal garden hose pressure to flush it through (High pressure could blow a corroded weak spot.). Alternate the feed a couple of times until it runs clean with the same pressure in both directions.
Reconnect the feed/return hoses to the matrix.
Then follow the normal procedures for refilling and bleeding the cooling system.
***It's coming into winter, don't scrimp on the Antifreeze!!***
Wife had an AX GT same thing happened!! This cured the problem.
It may be something else, hope it's an easy fix for you. Merry Xmas.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

gjb02's advice is good. I'd stress the point about the anti-freeze. I use a 50% concentration, preferably of the genuine Citroen Anti-Gel (available at GSF or on the AS web site).
Avoid the cheaper stuff or a concentration of less than 33% unless you like changing heater matrixes!
Oh and one other thing to check. Has the Radweld fairy paid your car a visit in the last year? Lets hope not eh?