my new Hdi problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dei9
My Cars:

my new Hdi problems

Post by dei9 »

Hi all,

So now in possession of my 1999 exclsuive Hdi 110, here are the initial problems:
1 bit high on the front, I guess I need to check that plastic clip, or failing that, adjust the clamp (although that is rare on the front right, and is hard to get to)?
2 the engine has a fast idle, about 900 rpm, seems quite high? common problems, is there a quick fix bar opening the bonnet? Is it fly by wire?
3 pulling off hard in 1 and hard on second gear has rattle/clunk from driver side, i think it could be driveshaft related or even suspension arm, it's stable enough, but something seems loose, i should not it did pass the mot with no advisories though. (and it does need drop links). any ideas or common problems without me actually taking the wheel off an trying to move some joint about checking looseness?

other than them, it seems an ok car so far, the HDi engine is different to my old 2.1, I feel like I can't just floor it, it feels flat, but if you feather it nicely it pulls better! very weird, all in all quite pleased, especially to be back in the excusive trim!! even the heated seats work! will change the spheres at some point too, get it all working nicely, the rear ones look proper caked on!!! not looking forward to them!

see you all later,
D
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: my new Hdi problems

Post by Peter.N. »

For the height problem I would first give the valve several good doses of WD40 as they can stick, its unlikely that it needs adjusting unless its been interfered with.

Can't help with the tickover speed I'm afraid.

If the noise on takeoff is only on one side my first suspect would be the CV joint.

All my 2.1 experience has been with XMs which I ran for many years, I now have two 110hp Hdi's a C5 and a 406 and my experience that the Hdi is not a smooth and flexible is the 2.1. The XM's would pull smoothly from not much above tickover speed but both of my Hdi's tend to vibrate at below 1500rpm. I suspect that its because the flywheel is to light. The Hdi is a good engine though especially the one you have the 8 valve version.

Peter
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

ok, thanks peter, i will drown it in wd40, i'll check the cable for the idle (obvious first thing to do really), i'll check the cv joint too, how do i do that, just a matter of jacking it up, wheel off and turn/shake/pull/push visual feel inspection? thx
...from Dei

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Make sure that, before you go underneath the car to work on the suspension, that she is properly supported and cannot drop down on you. If you don't, and she drops, she WILL kill you!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You may not be able to feel play in the joint but the classic symptom of one failing is a clicking noise on full lock.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

1. The front suspension can 'wind up' over time, and end up high - if the height corrector is working, resetting the clamp should see it OK.
2. All ECU controlled, fly by wire I used to think mine idled a bit high from time to time, but never worried too much about it. Might be worth a Lexia check to see what the idle speed actually is, what the coolant temp gets up to, and what the fuel pressure is doing.
3. Top inner wing engine mount can account for a lot of noise. Some info here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=49751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was still available recently at about £30. You tend to get a rattle clunk on engine start / shut down as well - difficult to diagnose unless you remove it, which is not that hard.

It should just go if you floor it - might be worth checking the accelerator cable doesn't need adjusting (it has one running to the TPS between the battery and engine).
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

One notch on the throttle wont cause a rev increase, then two notches wont make a 100 rpm difference. I agree with RichardW..

Remember you have a COMPLETELY different kettle of fish compared to a TD engine! Theres NO little tweeks to do - the fuel richness is set by the ECU by reading the flow in at the air filter, 900rpm is perfectly fine! Mine was always on this! Never bothered me.

Top link mount rubber useually clunks on power on off when driving..

A lexia is a handy thing to have with a HDi though, the 110 8v engines are the BEST ones to have!

Ive got a 110 HDi SX to strip out in siver too, due to rear body rot...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

citroenxm wrote:
Remember you have a COMPLETELY different kettle of fish compared to a TD engine! Theres NO little tweeks to do - the fuel richness is set by the ECU by reading the flow in at the air filter, 900rpm is perfectly fine! Mine was always on this! Never bothered me.

There are a bunch of sensors in the inlet track look for a big boxy thing with a couple of leads, open it up and give the wire, plate annd any thing else in there a squirt of brake cleaner - they can get all covered in grime and send erroneous readings.

Another "tweek" on HDI is that they tend to set the accelerator cable too slack, pull off the big r clip pull the outer cable back till there is just slack in the inner and re fit clip. baggy cable results in a slow responding engine that is sluggish. finding the potentomiter that is your accelerator is fun just follow the cable from what ever mech is at the top of your pedal :wink:

Sean
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

Thanks for all the replies guys, certainly helpful. Will report back as to the results.

As for the HDi engine, it's weird, it doesn't like full throttle often, you have to kind of work it up to the bottom (fully deprressed) otherwise it's flat and nothing much happens! I can't imagine it needing to be like this, but maybe it's how it should be?
...from Dei

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I've had my 8v HDi for seven years and although it's a superb engine imo it's the long-legged gearbox that allows the engine to use the torque to its best. I never have to take mine over 2500rpm, mostly don't even do 2250, to make it go. Quick changes through first and second using little gas and once you're in third and fourth the engine will pull from around 1000rpm with ease.

It's a wonderfully lazy drive that is easy and relaxing once you learn not to screw it into the ground.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

dei9 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys, certainly helpful. Will report back as to the results.

As for the HDi engine, it's weird, it doesn't like full throttle often, you have to kind of work it up to the bottom (fully deprressed) otherwise it's flat and nothing much happens! I can't imagine it needing to be like this, but maybe it's how it should be?
Your turbo may possibly NOT be working then - dont panic, not the turbo itself, but the Vaccuum controlled Wastegate!

By the drivers sphere theres two electro valves. One controls the EGR the other the turbo wastegate...

You can tell if its working. With the engine idleing, find the throttle sensor, below the LHM tank under the air intake pipe, rev the engine, the front intercooler pipe should instantly EXPAND under turbo pressure, if not, then the elector valve IS goosed and needs replaceing!

Working properly, these engines are more livly and quicker then the 2.1 TD engines of old.

As for life! My HDi exclusive, which still lives around holyhead ran to 283,000 miles, and still didnt use a drop of oil or water! Id still have it if it wasnt for being spoilt by a C5 HDi 110 Auto...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

I think you could be right there Paul, it pulls like a sprinting elephant when I'm gentle on the throttle, but if I boot it, it's like she's telling me to sod off whilst she decides if she'll allow the turbo. Meh. Can the valves be fixed like the hydractive ones, i,e with a diode? if it's an emf issue?

But I can feel what it should be like, and I just feel it's not what it should be like. So I'll get onto that as soon as I can. Oh and it's lovely and economical, I got from Liverpool to Anglesey on less than a quarter of a tank, didn't fuel up at all, that is unheard of in my world.
...from Dei

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

They are nothing like an electro valve on the hydractive.

They are about 40 quid off ebay.. I cant link one just now im on my phone. Im not that clever..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/130673153238?nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats what you possibly need

see hdi wastegates.. they default to open so no boost gets to the intake.. they then need the vaccum supplied from the vac pump via the electro valve.. this closes the waste gate.. when the ecu senses max turbo pressure it flicks the electro valve andthe vaccum switchs to dump via bottom of the valve and the wastegate opens.. but its not an open close switch it does it in gradual but quick stages so the correct boost is controlled.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto