Ignition switch fix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia97
My Cars:

Ignition switch fix

Post by Xantia97 »

Hi All,
Looks like Snoopy's ignition switch has given up - no heater blower and HRW is intermittent. So I have two questions please.

I think I have looked at all the threads on this fix but it seems that all the photos uploaded have been moved over time, anyone still got any - I need an idiot's guide please :lol:

Secondly, I have read that I can take the power from the cigar lighter feed, to avoid dismantling the steering column shroud, but I use the lighter to run the sat nav and charge my phone, will this still be ok to do? :?:

Thanks,
Juliet
1997 Xantia 1.9TD LX (owned for 14 years) - Snoopy

Gone but always remembered
GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Ignition switch fix

Post by RichardW »

MK1 or MK2?
Richard W
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

MK1 1997

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Xantia97 wrote:MK1 1997
OK, so likely to be the switch (if it was a MK2 it would be something else as they had a relay from the factory). You really need to remove the shrouds, as you need access to the heavy duty wires under there. It's not as hard as it seems. Set the wheel to 90° either way, take the battery off, go for a cup of tea :lol: . Undo the two T20(?) bolts accessible from the back of the steering wheel to remove the air bag - lift away carefully, and unplug the wire. Unplug the wires to the radio controls (not easy!). Mark the steering wheel and column, undo the nut (21mm deep socket IIRC) but leave it on the threads, then jar the wheel off the shaft. Once loose undo the nut, and then carefully feed the wires through to remove the wheel. Remove the shrouds.

Locate the brown connector with red wires going to the ignition lock - this is the one that feeds the blower / HRW. Unplug it, reconnect the battery and work out which is the live (car) wire and which is the switched side, disconnect battery. Cut this live wire somewhere convenient (either side of the connector, doesn't matter). Get a 4 pin relay - at least 30A (see details of the relay pin out below). Connect the live side of the car to one of the pins on the switched circuit (87 or 30), and run another wire from this pin to the other (switch end) of the wire you just cut. Now cut the other wire, connect the car side to the other switched pin on the relay (87 or 30), and the igniton switch side to the switching pin on the relay (85 or 86). Run a small wire from the other switching pin (85 or 86) on the relay to a handy earth (a steering column bolt?). Reconnect battery and check you get blower and HRW after you swtich on (noting that the blower may only run when the engine is running, depending on heater configuration) - you can start the engine without the wheel - the air bag light will be on, but it will go out once the bag is reconnected. Tie up the relay out of the way, insulate wires etc, and refit it all. Couple of hours tops.

Richard W
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Richard that's great, thank you very much. :-D

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Image Image
Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Thanks very much Clogzz, very helpful, I know what bits to look for now. :-D

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you come to remove the steering wheel undo the nut most of the way, but leave it on so that a bit of the thread protrudes. This is to stop the steering wheel coming loose in a hurry and smacking you in the face. Once the steering wheel is loose you can take the nut and wheel off.

EDIT; Should have read RichardW instructions first, as he already said to leave said nut on!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Thanks James, would rather have the instructions repeated than a smack in the face! :lol:

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta