Xantia S2 SX heater control problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenthusiast

Xantia S2 SX heater control problem

Post by citroenthusiast »

I'm having trouble with the heater on my 1999 Xantia Estate HDi SX.

The blower switch has packed up. I've not been able to find a replacement and was getting cold! The garage has managed to by-pass the switch on the heater control panel and has fitted a separate switch to the dash so I have a working heater blower.

But there's no heat coming out! The mechanic had hoped to be able to adjust the heater so that it would be permanently on hot which would be fine for me. However, he's not been able to do this as everything seems to be electric, rather than manual.

I think I've found a complete replacement unit - not easy as it's a late model car with aircon and so needs the 'Auto' option by the fan switch. Is it as simple as just swapping over the units? I've checked with the breaker concerned (in France - couldn't find one in the UK!) and they have confirmed it's the correct part for the car.

Any advice - or offers of heater control units - gratefully accepted!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia S2 SX heater control problem

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it is, if the replacement control panel has an auto position on the switch than it can be swapped, they're all the same as long as it's an A/C car which from 1997 all are..

Be aware of the bowden cables. They're easy to kink...

You don't want permanently hot. You'll roast...

The heater mixer flap is servo controlled. You can remove the servo motor, it's right under the heater box and almost inaccessible.

If you do you can set the flap to full hot or full cold but nothing in between as the flow of air through the heater box will blow it hard over one way or the other. Much better to properly fix the problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenthusiast

Post by citroenthusiast »

Thanks very much Jim - roasting would have been ideal with last week's frosts, can always open a window to cool down!

Will go ahead and order the part now.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The air temperature from the heater vents on full hot is about 55 degrees! Not something you want permanently enabled I can assure you...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive