Changed oil & filter. Now engine won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonnouk

Changed oil & filter. Now engine won't start

Post by jonnouk »

Hi,

I've got a 2.0 HDI in a 2002 Dispatch. I've just changed the oil and filter. After removing the oil I attempted to remove the the filter. It was a PITA to remove. On the 1st attempt I noticed I wasn't going anywhere so I decided to fill up with oil and change the filter later. On start up I immediately noticed a leak and shut down the engine. Oil light never came on, engine was running for ~5seconds.

So, I got the filter off (it had a small split in it from my 1st attempt I couldn't see) and replaced with the Bosch I had. Oil levels were still fine.

Now when I turn on the engine it just keeps cranking. The oil light and battery symbol immediately goes off but it seems like the injectors never fire.

What gives?
Northern_Mike

Re: Changed oil & filter. Now engine won't start

Post by Northern_Mike »

Did you drain the filter housing when you change the filter? If so, it'll be that I reckon. There should be a primer bulb somewhere near the pump/filter. Pump it until it goes hard. It should start then. Had the same on my Berlingo whenI changed the fuel filter a month or so ago.
jonnouk

Post by jonnouk »

northern_mike wrote:Did you drain the filter housing when you change the filter? If so, it'll be that I reckon. There should be a primer bulb somewhere near the pump/filter. Pump it until it goes hard. It should start then. Had the same on my Berlingo whenI changed the fuel filter a month or so ago.
The fuel filter? I didn't touch it.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sorry completely misread that post!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you inadvertently dislodged a sensor lead?
IIRC if there is no signal from the camshaft sensor it won't fire.
jonnouk

Post by jonnouk »

That's what I thought but I had a look and can't see anything amiss. I'll have a look again in the morning with a better light. Where does the camshaft sensor lead run?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Haven't the foggiest - received knowledge from others on the forum who are more hands on.
First thing I thought of as I can't see any way that what happened while you were changing the oil would have any impact on starting, other than knocking a lead out of it's socket.
jonnouk

Post by jonnouk »

Engine started up on the 1st crank today but the CEL light is on. The "stop" light isn't on and neither is any other warning light so i'm going to take it in to my usual garage.
jonnouk

Post by jonnouk »

Took the van to the garage. Turns out it wasn't open unlike what their website said. Brought the van home and turned it off. Just to see if it would turn on again I tried it and the CEL went off. Oh well. A mystery.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The CEL will go off if it was a temporary fault, usually after five successful starts.
If you can hook up with a member local to you with a Lexia they can read the faults - it will still be recorded, may give an idea of what the problem could have been.