Xsara Picasso 1.6hdi SMF conversion?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marqueem
New User

Xsara Picasso 1.6hdi SMF conversion?

Post by marqueem »

Does anybody have any experience of fitting and driving a single mass flywheel conversion on a Xsara Picasso? I have a 2004 1.6 Hdi 110 that has just eaten its clutch (110,500 miles) and I can buy an SMF flywheel and clutch for considerably less than the DMF one, but I don't want to fit an SMF if it messes up the balance of the car in some way.

I'd be very grateful for experiences or insights regarding this.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Xsara Picasso 1.6hdi SMF conversion?

Post by Lighty »

Fitted one in my sons 206 gti hdi 1.6, judders horribly , wouldn't recommend . 110k is pretty decent mileage out of it.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I suspect the 1.6Hdi motor is designed for a DMF. My old C5 2.0 HDi has a conversion on it and it's the best clutch I've had on any vehicle ever. The engine wasn't originally designed for one though so perhaps it copes better.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My 406 2.0. Hdi still has the original DMF at 231,000 miles, I'm sure that the way its driven has a lot to do with it.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:My 406 2.0. Hdi still has the original DMF at 231,000 miles, I'm sure that the way its driven has a lot to do with it.
Mine appears to have had the conversion kit on it for over 100,000 miles now, going off the service history. Still feels very good and light.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would be all in favour of doing away with the DMF except that I don't think the Hdi flywheels are heavy enough, the XUD 2.1. engine is much smoother at low revs than the Hdi and that has a solid flywheel but I suspect a heavier one.

Peter
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I'd investigate as much as possible. I read that a major manufacturer was investigating the possibility of suing an aftermarket manufacturer because the number of crank failures was damaging their reputation. Presumably owners were having a SMF fitted, the cranks weren't designed for the stress and torque of a SMF and were snapping. Only read it once and no names were given.

Steve.
not applicable