C8 Webasto heater help please !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jml
Locked user account
My Cars: A brilliant C8 2.2 HDi 173

C8 Webasto heater help please !

Post by jml »

Hi Guys

Newbie here with a brilliant C8 2.2 HDi 173 that has covered over 90,000 virtually trouble free miles. I'm hoping that some of you whizzkids out there might be able to help me with a self-induced problem I have !

I have to do frequent short journeys from cold and the Webasto heater that is fitted under the floor does a great job of heating up the car in cold weather. However I decided to fit a Kenlowe type 240v mains powered pre heater as well so that the cooling system would be warm even before I started. I've plumbed this into the under car pipe work that leads to and from the webasto unit.

I removed the webasto unit to do this - just a very small diesel feed pipe; a five? way block connector and the two coolant pipes. However, after refitting, the Webasto unit doesn't operate when it should (below 10? degrees) - it worked perfectly before.

My guess is that either I need to bleed the system or I've messed up the electronics.

Has anybody any experience of this and can give me any idea how to fix it ?

I even have the list of fault codes for the Webasto unit but no reader so, if it is Electrics, any suggestions for a really basic/cheap EOBD reader ?

I hope my first post makes some sort of garbled sense and is in the right place etc and I also hope someone can help !

Cheers
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: C8 Webasto heater help please !

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome!

As the device can be interrogated with a fault code reader I'd get that done. Don't use a generic reader but rather get the car diagnosed with proper Citroën Lexia diagnostics as they will be far more specific.

Many of our members have Lexia systems and will carry out a read for you. A list of those people can be found in the 'supersticky' area of the forum.

The problem might be as simple as an air lock in the diesel feed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Mine will only kick in at 9 deg or below and if the coolant temp is below 60, Lexia will run it on actuator tests and should find faults too.
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
jml
Locked user account

Post by jml »

Excellent - many thanks for your quick replies.

I was going to try bleeding the diesel feed (but it's just been too bleeding cold to do so recently !) although I'm not quite sure how !

I'll have a look to see if I can find a friendly Lexia owner nearby - thanks.

Cheers

Ps Thanks Jim for the Lexia suggestions - it looks like I'm pretty close to Stickyfinger so maybe I'll have to brave the sheep in stockings and see if he'd be happy to help !
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

jml wrote:I was going to try bleeding the diesel feed (but it's just been too bleeding cold to do so recently !) although I'm not quite sure how !
I do the engine maintenance on a boat with a diesel heater. Although it's not a Webasto, I'd expect it to be similar. After moving the boat's heater to a more accessible location, it wouldn't fire up until I'd bled the fuel system. The tiny (3mm o/d?) copper fuel pipe was connected into the underside of the heater at a banjo coupling, and all I had to do was disconnect this, and operate the heater's controls, so that the electric pump in the fuel line pumped fuel up to the banjo, ejecting trapped air in the process. Reconnected, and bingo. Good luck :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
jml
Locked user account

Post by jml »

Thanks Martin,

I'll give that a try although I rather suspect this one may be a gravity feed rather than pumped. It is a tiny pipe though and it could well be 3mm. Either way I need to get back underneath !

If I can find out how to post a picture I could post one of the Webasto unit removed if it would be of interest to anyone.

Cheers

Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This link explains how to post pictures;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=35470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!