Xantia front regulator ticks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Xantia front regulator ticks

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Hi everyone. The gap between the ticks is only 12secs. I replaced all six spheres and done only 6000kms afterwards. Is this normal or if not what could be the reasons.
Regards Chetiya
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia front regulator ticks

Post by CitroJim »

It's not good. A couple of questions before we can really fully diagnose:

1. Is the car Hydractive? I take it not as you say you replaced six spheres but we must be sure.

2. Does the car sink rapidly when parked up?

3. Are you 100% sure the new accumulator sphere is good? Sometimes they are faulty from new. Do not discount this possibility...

If the accumulator is known to be good then a high tick rate is cause by internal leakage. The favourites for this are worn Hydractive electrovalves (in a hydractive car only), a leaky brake dosuer (valve) or leaky front struts.

The culprit can be generally found by observing leakage returns back to the LHM reservoir and seeing which is excessive. The brake dosuer is easy enough as the return line is very accessible. Same with the front struts.

Hydractive electrovalves can be diagnosed by forcing hard mode (pull F8 in the engine bay fuse box) and seeing if the tick rate radically improves.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i suppose it could even be the bleed valve on the regulator not seating clean/fully,

i understand from other citroen forums this can be sorted with a small copper drift and a hammer,

not that i have ever done this before,

remove the bleed valve screw mind you have a tray underneath to catch the ball bearing if it drops out, then with the ball bearing back in place give it one sharp blow with with the drift and hammer,

this is meant to re/seat the ball bearing
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good point Malcolm..

I've read about this many times like you but never had to do it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Thanks. its a non active car. it some times sinks when parked at max height. but not always. I asume the acc sphere is good because it has only 6000kms after replacement. i have fixed all the leaks of brake cylinder, power steering rack pinion, front regulator and there are no leaks in the return lines as well. how ever the stop light takes a long time to go off. i bleed from the front regulator several times. when i do the stop light light goes off instantly even when i start the engine after several hours. but when i do a run it changes back.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I know this might seem a silly question, but you did fully bleed the brakes after you replaced the spheres, didn't you?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I still believe it is internal leakage. The pump is struggling to make the full pressure as shown by the stop light taking a long time to go out and when it does the pressure is lost very quickly. It is like trying to fill a bucket with a hole in it. It takes a long time and the contents continually escape. That's what is happening here.

Given all the work you have done, the suspects now are the pump itself being internally leaky or the pressure regulator.
Jim

Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

How to check for internal leaks of the pump and regulator Jim
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chetiya Dias wrote:How to check for internal leaks of the pump and regulator Jim
You need to tee in a pressure gauge between the regulator output and the security valve and then see how quickly the pressure decays whe the pump is nopt running... A good system should hold pressure for several minutes...

If you see the pressure fall immediately then you know you have an internal leak.

This is a gauge I made up to do exactly that on an Activa...

Jim

Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Hmmm. My issue is Jim when started for the first time in the morning the ticks is over 30 secs. But when I press the brake pedal even once the ticking drops below 20 secs.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

In that case the first suspect has to be the brake dosuer valve....
Jim

Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Also if there is a internal leak how to fix it.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Where is the brake dosuer valve
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

What should I do with the brake dosuer valve Jim.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Because this problem occurred only after I replaced the seals of the brake master cylinder.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v