Mystery Part

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MountainMan
My Cars:

Mystery Part

Post by MountainMan »

Hi,
I need to identify a part from the clutch system which I need on a 93 ZX TD. It's a stationary cable securing arm, facing the clutch actuating arm. It in effect acts as a brace to hold the cable outer stationary as the pedal is depressed. I belive it's secured to the gearbox housing, but not entirely sure. I know Andyspares does not carry it so I need to go through a main dealer (hence part number needed)
Car is currently stranded.
Many thanks.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, doesn't the ZX TD use the same 'inside out' clutch as the Xantia TD, whereby it operates on 'pull' action and the effort is transmitted by moving the cable outer (oh yeah, good idea, Citroen!) and therefore the arm that you are looking at is actually the operating lever for the clutch? You don't say why the car is immobile, but if you are looking at it whilst someone is pressing the clutch and thinking that the stationary part is moving you have been deluded by the 'ingenious' design. If you have no clutch action, I suspect you are soon to discover the delights of ZX TD gearbox removal.....
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

Thanks, Ok, to clarify
The cable is currently broken, hence no clutch and immobile. The cable system pulls through the core wire, the arm visible in the engine bay to the front of the gearbox case is the actuator for the clutch. It needs an opposing stationary arm to work against (the mystery part and was I suspect, never there). My orginal repair to just get me mobile was a little Heath Robinson and the cable failed, so to avoid the same fate I need to locate this bracket thingy.
[:)]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Can't think which bit you're talking about.
Is it on here:
http://www2.citroen-pr.net/pr_image/H3120750.GIF
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

Looking at the diagram, the part is not shown but would appear to the right of the clutch actuating arm, having the same metal strip construction with a "broken circle" locating hole for the cable assembly. Effectively looking at the engine bay from the front, it would be partly or completely underneath by the battery tray bolted onto the ally gearbox casing and the two locating circles are in line with eachother i.e -O--0---- looking from the passenger side wing of the car and -- = cable and O = clutch arm 0 = mystery part
Thanks.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

'fraid not. This leads me to think it's not a main assembly part but a later (in production) add on.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Definitely a Turbo Diesel and not a normal diesel isn't it?
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

There's most certainly a turbo on board[:)] the item I am describing is shown in a Haynes manual photo of the engine bay, wish I could describe more effectively, it's just I cannot remember how the clutch cable assembly operated or looked before it broke and now comparing the new cable to the engine bay components, it seems this mystery item is the only thing that will make it all fit[V]
Thanks for your efforts.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You must be refering to the inner cable anchor bracket, bolted to the box, if its not there now, how can the clutch have ever worked.
Whats the whole story with the car, how long owned, has it ever been used by you, ever had a fresh box in etc.
Dave
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

Inner cable bracket? Is the outer cable secured, with the free inner cable operating the clutch, or am I confusing myself?
I have had the car about a year, previously from a friend (two owners before him) and apparently well looked after, I have no idea if a replacement box has gone in (engine block and box look well matched, appearance wise). I don't know how the clutch worked before, just can't remember, I suppose this bracket could have "pinged" off causing the inital failure?
Thanks.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

<font color="blue">Inner cable bracket? Is the outer cable secured, with the free inner cable operating the clutch, or am I confusing myself?
</font id="blue">This is the way the non turbo clutch operates, though the inner cable is attached to the release arm in this instance and not to any stationary bracket.
If the bracket is not there now and has never been there during your ownership of the car, then there must be a standard push type clutch fitted, the pull type would not work without the bracket.
The bracket is not insubstantial and would never ping off as you put it, unless you were to wrap the car around a tree or the like, then it just might.
Presumably you still have the old cable and can put it side by side with the new one.
The only difference you may see is it the plastic cable guide on the turbo type cable, this is free to move up and down the length of the cable unhindered, when fitted the guide clips into the top of the box.
On the non turbo things are slighlty different, there is still a plastic piece that clips into the same place on top of the box, but this is now the outer cable/sheath anchor, the end of the outer sheath is securely attached to this plastic and rubber clip in piece.
I have got a bracket knocking about here somewhere but I don't think you need one as it looks like you have the wrong type of clutch and possibly box fitted to use it.
Check the cables and get back.
Dave
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

Ahh,
It's all starting to make sense, looks like someone wrecked the TD box sometime in the past and fitted a D one instead, hence the problem with the clutch.
I love hidden histories!!
I work in Reading so I'll drop into Andyspares at Lunch, getting my hands on a D cable should clear everything up.
Thanks to everyone for giving their time.