XUD Stop Solenoid Issue?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

XUD Stop Solenoid Issue?

Post by evilally »

Ok, so we all know the problem of the engine continuing to run after the key is removed, my 406 started doing this today :evil: A few days ago it also started taking 3-5 seconds of cranking before it fires. I know it isn't plugs as these have just been changed, and there's not the customary cloud of smoke when it's a plug issue. No smoke, so no fuel. Could this also be caused by the stop solenoid being reluctant to open? The bummer is I put this pump on less than 2,000 miles ago, and it's a factory new pump, never before used. Normally it starts very well, even on veg in the cold. If I stop the engine then try to start again straight away, it still requires 3-5 seconds of cranking, which to me eliminates the other usual problem of fuel running back to tank.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: XUD Stop Solenoid Issue?

Post by citronut »

maybe the fault is caused by the veggie clogging things up somewhere down the line
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Malcolm, you may be onto something there. Otherwise on such a pump as fitted the running - on can only really be the stop solenoid.

Now if it were a Lucas EPIC.....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Gahhhh.....just goes to show, even seasoned veggies can get caught out.

I store my fuel in 205L drums in the garage. I put the last 15l of this batch in the car last night. This morning, the car ground to a halt shortly after setting off for work. Fuel filter like a block of jelly :( I haven't changed a filter at the side of the road for years now, so I suppose I've got a bit too relaxed about WVO in winter. The fuel while liquid looks like melted butter. I've brimmed it with a splash of petrol and the veg from the next drum which is still translucent and glossy looking (rapeseed I think). Took it out for a 20 minute drive, I've got air ingress somewhere but otherwise ok.

So I think this crap batch of fuel has affected the stop solenoid in some way? I'm hoping it will flush through.

Another interesting point to note. I recently finished up a large batch of Motaquip fuel filters (I change every 3,000 as matter of course). The batch I have now are Mann, which looking at them side by side are clearly superior (much bigger outlet, far more filter material). I wonder if they are also lower micron, meaning that while they do a better job they plug faster in this sort of application.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It should flush through OK - Perhaps run some pure dino-diesel through it....

Very possibly on the fuel filters... Quality will vary...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

an old guy/friend of mine used to run a Skoda diesel, he also used to purchase bio by the 20lt drum from Rye oils,

he had a stock pile of these drums of fuel/WAX!!!,

he had constant running/starting issues so changed the fuel filter on a regular basis, this cut down the running issues quite a bit, till one day the car had sever problems,

i took the filter off and with the drain valve at the bottom fully open all that came out was a very thick gluppy, i placed said filter in a funel over my wasye oil drum the glupp was still trying to get out a month later
Regards, malcolm.

taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

good point there need to drain the water from filter more often i know i am :)
my car had these problems (1.9dturbo lucas) and it was intermitant either wouldnt start or stop straight away and went down plugs route and ending up on the stop solinoid...removed the plunger and it ran fine but needed 5th as the key(still do) but i must confess i was really low on fuel and skint and bought some veg and put it in fairly neet...few days later things started being intermitant...could be coinceidence as the solinoid might have worn out
hope this helps
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Well I dismantled the filter housing, it was full of gunk. Gave it a proper clean out, took the opportunity to reseal the base and redid a lot of the fuel hose and joints in the engine bay to eliminate any potential leaks. If the weather was better I would have drained the tank but I can't be bothered, I'm just changing filters as required until I get all the gunk out. I think it's a little better, it did one time run on for a couple of seconds but has otherwise been ok, and even started without much cranking today. I'll run the tank as low as possible and stick £20 of diesel in it. The old crate might be excited to get to go to a petrol station, it's never been :rofl2:

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

Hahaa veg station :) well sounds like you may have found the prob..be interesting to see if it goes completely maybe add some red ex for good measure and keep us posted :) good work doing the pipe work too :)
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think i heard a few years back someone added paraffin into there tank to thin down the glupp ????
Regards, malcolm.

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Hi Malcolm, paraffin would likely be effective but would also make you unpopular with HMRC. I already have blended 20% misfuel so 10% petrol and 10% diesel in there already. There was another significant temperature drop last night resulting in another stoppage :( Will likely go for a tank drain at the weekend. I have a small lift pump that i could attach to the fuel line under the bonnet and run off the cars battery, should do the trick.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

others fit a fuel heater somewhere in the supply cicuit
Regards, malcolm.

taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

Also check your connections on the pump to solenoid incase you got bad feed or earth
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Well, I drained the tank last weekend with a little lift pump (took about an hour, but saved me a lot of work). The fuel didn't look great. I cleaned out the housing (again) and ran the engine off a can of diesel and allowed it to return back to the empty tank to get everything flushed. Used about £30 of diesel (ouch) then back on the better quality rapeseed batch. All seems normal again!

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

Nice work mate!