ZX central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rabenson
My Cars:

ZX central locking

Post by rabenson »

I've just been searching in vain through the archives to try and solve a particularly niggling problem with my ZX. Once I unlock it, the central locking goes into a frenzy trying to unlock itself again repeatedly until I lock myself in. Not a major problem but bloody inconvenient, not to say embarrassing (you should hear it!!). I've located the controller relay/electronics box next to the handbrake and the relays are operating ok - that is to say the "lock" relay operates once when I fire the plip but the "unlock" relay keeps repeatedly closing.
Now my question is, does anyone know if the plip reciever sends just one pulse to this box ie transmission received or does it send an unlock signal or a lock signal alternately? If it's the former, then I think its safe to say that the fault lies in the relay/electronics box but if it's the latter, then the fault is probably in the plip receiver module.
Any theories??
Ron
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

If this happens on frosty morning, it maybe a soleniod not operating correctly making its contact to stay open in one of the doors or tailgate. If so they may need some WD40 type lubricant to stop them freezing.
sooty
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

A few things to try first. Most C/L systems can be key operated from the driver or pass door - try it with the key first this will eliminate or incriminate plip (although suspect plip not the fault).
On newer citroens there is a switch incorporated within the door lock which will 'tell' the C/L controller which state the door is in, locked or unlocked. If this is stuck in one posn or other (or wire broken) this will cause probs.
You say system repeatedly unlocks - do you mean a full lock then unlock or does it just twitch away trying to unlock?
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I must admit this problem has only started since the cold weather has set in. I must admit that I didn't realise that there could be "position feedback" contacts on the door locks (common sense really I suppose...).
The locking procedure works fine but once unlocked, the locks as you say Davey, twitch away trying unnecessarily to unlock themselves!
I'm going to have a look at the lock actuators this weekend!
Thanks,
Ron
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

As sooty pointed out, and you confirm, that this only happens when very cold; probably the door lock itself getting sticky/freezing preventing lock operation and thereby feedback. If C/L locks same as xantia/berlingo then solenoid and switches are sealed unit so all you can do is the 'old wd40 squirt in key hole' (do both sides). If this doesn't cure problem it means a door strip down and using dvm to check feedback switches are operating when door locks/unlocks (best to disconnect C/L fuse or batt as system may try to lock on connector disconnect). If switches ok then its wiring check for open/short circuits.
hamer
My Cars:

Post by hamer »

My ZX central locking has now packed in but hopefully should be easy to fix. However, aon a couple of cold occasions last winter I found it was fine getting in the car but then the lock froze open. One morning i had to use my tow rope to secure the door close. luckily I was only going to thel ocal trian station and it had thawed by the time I arrived, but one night coming home I couldn't face roping the door again to I drove home with one hand holding the closed. Very bizzare, but again it did thaw out. I've also found that in damp weather the passenger C/L was moody.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Hamer
This is not the central locking giving you this problem, its the actual mechanical door catch and linkage within the door freezing. You will need to remove the inner door panel and carefully peel back the plastic membrane at the end nearest the lock and spray some oil onto the mechanical parts.
sooty
parkwest

Post by parkwest »

Just a small point, remember to include the fuel cap lock (on Xantias at least, maybe on others also. It has a habit of sticking on my Xantia.
Parkwest.
mijyou
My Cars:

Post by mijyou »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hamer</i>

My ZX central locking has now packed in but hopefully should be easy to fix. However, aon a couple of cold occasions last winter I found it was fine getting in the car but then the lock froze open. One morning i had to use my tow rope to secure the door close. luckily I was only going to thel ocal trian station and it had thawed by the time I arrived, but one night coming home I couldn't face roping the door again to I drove home with one hand holding the closed. Very bizzare, but again it did thaw out. I've also found that in damp weather the passenger C/L was moody.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This has happened to me this morning. Think I might have to get the wifes hairdryer on it to get it to lock.[:(!][:(!]