Citroen Xantia HDi 110 cold start problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham1701d

Citroen Xantia HDi 110 cold start problem

Post by graham1701d »

Hello all,
My Xantia HDi is very reluctant to start when the temperature is around 0 degrees and it has been left for a day or two and there is no residual heat in the engine. The problem was first noticed at the beginning of the year when we had a couple of cold mornings. We changed the glow plugs and all seemed well. But it was probably due to the fact that we didn't really have anymore cold mornings after they were changed. I know that HDi's don't need glow plugs unless very cold. The glow plugs have power going to them and none of them are faulty. When the cold start problem returned the other morning we realised that the glow plug system is not at fault.
I then changed the battery because I didn't think the starter was spinning over fast enough when cold. Changing the battery improved the spinning over speed but it still refuses to start when cold. When it does eventually start you can immediately switch it off and restart no problem. There are no hot start issues whatsoever and I cannot fault the cars performance at all. The lift pump in the tank can always be heard when switching on the ignition. The car has done 118000 miles so I do not think the HP pump can be worn out and as I understand it they cause more issues when the engine is warm.
When the engine does eventually start quite a large cloud of unburnt fuel smoke appears. Also occasionally when it is refusing to start it will fire once but not enough to start then engine. Any advice anyone can offer will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards Graham
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen Xantia HDi 110 cold start problem

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

How slowly is she turning over when trying to start? Next time you try, check how hot the battery leads feel. There is a known issue with them degrading over time, which means the leads heat up, generating more resistance, so less power gets to the starter motor.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 34#p418834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Oliver53
Donor 2024

Post by Oliver53 »

It's very likely that the starter motor's brush set has worn out. Exactly the same symptoms I'd seen on my hdi before I finally rebuilt that starter motor.
Take it out and check the brush condition. If it's the brush, get one brand new set with brackets for less than 20 quid online and replace it. Not a hard job actually.
2000 ZX 1.4i
2006 Xsara Picasso 2.0i
2011 C5 2.3i (EW12A)
2003 Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
1985 2CV6 Special
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

I am fairly sure the starter motor is spinning over fast enough. Both battery leads are in good condition. I may have to take it to a garage equipped with the right diagnostic equipment. I don't have a lexia.

Regards Graham
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Been through all this.. 1st it was the positive lead, 2008, then the negative about 3 years later.. only affected the car at about 2 degrees C or lower. I got the positive replaced as it was really bad and added a secondary negative lead to the gearbox.. no problems since even in the coldest weather.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

I am still having the same cold start problem with my Xantia HDi. It has been to a garage and they have cleaned up a lot of corrosion on the main ECU plug. However the car is still the same. They have diagnosed the car on a Lexia and have found no faults. They have suggested the loom from the fuse box to the ECU is checked for high resistance. I needed the car back due to time constraints and aren't in the area for some time. If anyone has any more ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards Graham