Worth a punt?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swiveleyedgit
My Cars:

Worth a punt?

Post by swiveleyedgit »

Been looking at this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161492227533? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The gearbox problem seems erratic from the description but I wonder what exactly would need to be altered with Lexia to fix the problem? If the mileage is correct the gearbox should be in pretty good condition I would have thought.
Bob

Current Citroen
2004 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Worth a punt?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would check to see what kind of automatic gearbox it has. If it is a sensodrive box (I think that is what it is called) you might want to walk away. Davie (daviemck2006) had a problem with his 'box, and, basically, he would not have another one (and has made his feelings very clear about them).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
swiveleyedgit
My Cars:

Post by swiveleyedgit »

It's an AL4 by the look of it, the lever is visible in one of the photos, if it was a Sensodrive box I wouldn't be interested after reading some of the stories on here.
Bob

Current Citroen
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Pretty certain that is not the dreaded sensodrive. C3 autos are strange. The 1.4 auto is the sensodrive, 1.6 sx is the 4 speed auto which you can flick through the gears with the gear lever but doesn't have flappy paddles and the 1.6 exclusive has the sensodrive with flappy paddles. I would happily have a c3 auto but never a sensodrive again. Even when the sensodrive was working properly it ruined the car being almost impossible to drive smoothly, and parking in tight spaces was a hit or miss affair, literally. Press accelerator, nothing, press harder, almost like a full throttle start and hit the car that you are trying to park beside. Horrible articles.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Definitely not a sensodrive. No flappy paddles.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
swiveleyedgit
My Cars:

Post by swiveleyedgit »

I'm wondering now whether it's worth the trip to have a look at it, it's a long way to Manchester....
Bob

Current Citroen
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would wait for addo to see this. He is knowledgeable about gearboxes, and knows the AL4, so he could offer good advise.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I know nothing about those gearboxes. I just know if it is something electronic the buts will be expensive from Citroën. I think the ecu for the sensodrive was £630 and was £400 for the diagnostics and fitting. It looks a nice car, and then again it might just need setting up on the lexia and no parts. I think this is one of the you pays your money and you takes your chances.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
swiveleyedgit
My Cars:

Post by swiveleyedgit »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I would wait for addo to see this. He is knowledgeable about gearboxes, and knows the AL4, so he could offer good advise.
Yes all advice gratefully received James. I have spent some time under my C5 giving the gearbox an oil change which has improved it no end, the ad mentions that the C3 has had an oil change and new solenoids so I'm wondering what other faults could occur in such a low mileage example.
Bob

Current Citroen
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sounds like they've taken steps in the right direction, one of the problems is tightarse owners (or just plain knuckleheads) who will persist in driving a faulty gearbox rather than sort it.

There's nowt magical about it, check it has the most up-to-date firmware in the gearbox and that there are not faults from other things like a dodgy coil pack. If the valve body fails, you can exchange this for brand new; not cheap but you can buy from places like One Stop Gearbox Shop instead of copping the dealer prices.

If the box has persistently bad vibrations it should be removed and inspected, there is a slight chance the lockup clutch linings have come away, or the input shaft bushings are chopped out, or the internal oil pickup is becoming blocked.
swiveleyedgit
My Cars:

Post by swiveleyedgit »

Cheers Addo, hadn't thought it might be something other than the gearbox itself. A new coil pack isn't too expensive from what I can see on ebay, the description in the ad says it runs ok when warm so who knows where the problem could lie? Might stick the wife's Merc up for sale and take a look at it.
Bob

Current Citroen