Citroen Synergie - Another speedo problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TJB444

Citroen Synergie - Another speedo problem

Post by TJB444 »

Dear All,

My Synergie shows a speed of about 40 to 70mph when the engine is switched off.
When the car is driven the speedo works but you have to mentally deduct 40-70mph to get a rough speed.
When the battery is disconnected it returns to zero and when reconnected it works for a short time, however all of a sudden the speed will shoot up. You have to use the rev counter + gear to roughly guess the speed or use a SAT NAV to check speed.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery starts the procedure all again.
I understand the speed sensor is located on the top of the gearbox. I can see it and have disconnected the cable in case there was water ingression/bad connection and reseated it. Would the fault be fixed if I were to replace the speed sensor and if so, how easy is it to replace?
Or, Am i looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

T.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Citroen Synergie - Another speedo problem

Post by citronut »

i dont know for sure if the speed sensor/transducer can cause this fault, but other than plugging a LEXIA into check whats happening, i spoz the transducer would be the first place to start,
it is situated just above were the O/S drive shaft comes out of the gear box/diff, at the point that a speedo cable would normally be fitted, id it were cable driven
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Citroen Synergie - Another speedo problem

Post by Zelandeth »

First thing I would try would be to disconnect the sensor and see what happens. If it's still showing garbage readings with no sensor, you'll know it's a wiring or instrumentation fault. If it's showing a solid zero with it unplugged it would tend to suggest the sensor is at fault.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.