C5-III left front central locking sporadically working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgeraldf
My Cars:

C5-III left front central locking sporadically working

Post by mgeraldf »

Has anybody has seen this fail on the C5 2009 model? My car is not locking the left front door now and then (or not unlocking) when using the remote. Works fine with a key. I guess I have to replace the central locking mechanism. Two questions:
Is this the common part that fails (or a cable failure is more likely)?
Is this difficult to replace?
This summer I have replaced the window regulator cable in the same door, so getting access is already practiced :-) But I have no idea how the mechanical key operates this part.
Last edited by mgeraldf on 29 Apr 2015, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C5-III left front central locking sporadically working

Post by vborovic »

Which version of the car, driver on the left or on the right? Reason asking, whether the key lock is on the drivers door (and that door being in question) or the passenger door is in question (n which case it shouldn't make any difference in remote/key initiating of the door locking/unlocking), could be related ... then again, maybe not ...
mgeraldf
My Cars:

Post by mgeraldf »

Thanks for the reply and indeed a very good question. The car is a Citroen C5 sedan, 2009, 2.0 HDI 140 HP, Confort. The door in question is the driver door (the left front door, I live in Finland)
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

So, from what you've told us, when using the remote, it sometimes won't lock/unlock the driver's door, but if you use the key on the same door, it will always lock/unlock? One thing that crossed my mind is that the locking mechanism is dirty/clogged somehow, and that the motor doesn't have enough strength to do the work, but when you initiate it manually, maybe it gives it an extra push to complete the action ... I'm no expert in locks, but here's an image how it partly looks, when you dismantle the outer door handle ...

mgeraldf
My Cars:

Post by mgeraldf »

Thanks again, yes when I use the key the door will lock/unlock, through its mechanical movement (no clicking noise, just a smooth lock/unlock without sound).
Sometimes when I hit the door at the central locking area, it will work again, so most probably dirty or worn.
Thanks for your picture, it looks the mechanical lock is operating the locking mechanism through a rod, so I could consider just changing the central lock mechanism at this door (not the lock). Do you happen to ahem more pictures when you dismantled the outer door handle? If you have some instructions/pictures that would be great! I hate it that there is no repair manual (like Haynes) for this model! I will open this up during the Xmas break. And take some pictures.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Here's my topic regarding the outer door handles: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=47834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

If you register at service.citroen.com, you can get repair-instructions fairly cheap (for few euros you can download them for an hour). And there´s also a finnish forum where you can get help with your native language if you didn´t know at http://www.citroen-foorumi.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Although I don´t remember anyone there having problems with locks on C5 X7.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

If it works occasionally it sound like the electrics may be OK. Maybe its just a physical not-quite-latching closed thing, my Picasso had a similar intermittent fault on the tailgate. A clean and a smear of some lubricant on the "U" bolt on the B pillar might just cure it. Worth a try.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
mgeraldf
My Cars:

Post by mgeraldf »

Thanks for all the tips. I certainly will register at service.citroen.com. Forgot to tell you that although I live in Finland, I am not Finnish (I am Dutch, I know, nobody is perfect). So the English site is still preferred to me, although the Finnish site might have some local issues that you do not see in the UK.
Will try the U-bolt lubrication first though, that almost sounds too easy =D> .