Comms unit - lights flashey flashey!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

suffolkcitroen

Comms unit - lights flashey flashey!!

Post by suffolkcitroen »

Hey guys!!

Ok....so gave a brief description on the introduction board....but here it is! -

Over the last six months or so, the auto lights have been playing up, and then in the last week or so the lights wont stay on full beam when you pull the stalk back. This only happens every so often, and occasionally when you are pulling the stalk backwards and forwards to try and get it working all the lights go off completely!!....from what I can gather it seems that it is the comms unit?

Has anyone else had the same problem at all, and could anyone confirm that this is most likely to be the problem?

Also - on a side note, I have noticed that I can get a second hand comms unit with a cruise control stalk attached - and apparently its not to much of a drama to attach a cable and get the cruise control activated?

Cheers guys!!

:-D :-D :-D
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Comms unit - lights flashey flashey!!

Post by citronut »

i dont know if this is of any help

http://tinyurl.com/qadekor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like the COM2000 unit. If you can get it on Lexia, then you should be able to confirm that it is giving the wrong messages to the system. See this thread for folk with Lexia that might run it over the car for you: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Changing it is not too bad. Battery off (observe precautions: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=40407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;); remove air bag (probably the hardest bit!). Unplug the connectors on the wheel, remove the wheel (needs a T55 bit I think); remove the column shrouds, undo the clamp at the back; lift the clip and pull it off, disconnecting the wires. Refit is reverse of removal.

2nd hand ones seem to be around the £60-£90 which is rather a lot for something that may not be that much better than the one you've got. There's a guy in Bradford repairs them for £25 if you can be without it for a few days (search COM2000 repair on e-bay). If you post up the last 8 digits of the VIN, we can check the part number fitted - there are a LOT of variants!!

See http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=45175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for info on retrofitting cruise.
Richard W
suffolkcitroen

Post by suffolkcitroen »

wow...thanks for your help, advice and links guys! It certainly does seem like the comms unit is the issue now...there is one guy in Norfolk who I will contact over the next few days re the lexia to possibly check the fault, and maybe even program to say that I have cruise control!

Is there anyone based in the Suffolk area that might be able to help as far as removing and replacing the comms?...pretty nervous about doing it myself! Its our only car and I don't want to muck it up and make more costs, especially as funds are so tight right now!

Hope someone can help! cheers! :-D
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I got a local auto electrician to remove and replace my unit with a new one.... he charged £45 which I thought was ok.. that just the removal and refitting price.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)