No heat C 5 1.6 hdi, BSI?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elverstown

No heat C 5 1.6 hdi, BSI?

Post by elverstown »

Hi all, new here,
Have 05 estate, and am getting little or no heat from the heater, its dual climate control, fan speed working ok, it seems to still change to and from windscreen defog, I am having intermittent problems with the Bsi?, ie radio controls/ menu not responding, does this control the temperature? could I manually override valve and control with fan speed? where is valve?
Thanks for any help, D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: No heat C 5 1.6 hdi, BSI?

Post by myglaren »

There is no valve. Flow of water through the heater matrix is continuous and unrestricted. The temperature is controlled by flaps that mix hot & cold air and direct it to where you want it, or where the car thinks you want it in automatic mode.

The usual problem is the flaps distort and stick then tear the cog on the motor shafts to bits but in your case it looks like BSI/heater module insanity.
This is generally attributed to low battery voltage - sometimes due to a failing battery.

First thing to try is a BSI reset using this procedure.
This will only help if the battery is fully charged.

Welcome to the FCF :welc:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Is the aircon set to auto?
If so, it will demist the windscreen as a priority, and only heat the cabin when that's complete.
With the recent weather conditions, it's possible that demisting takes up the best part of short jouneys.
elverstown

Post by elverstown »

Thanks, didn't know that about the flaps vs valve, I switched the aircon off, sometimes I cant get into setup menu, and yes the battery may be getting dodgy had a couple of failed starts/jumplead starts.
Is there a way to move the flaps to get a bit of heat, have Haynes book, but it is not clear where the motor is,
elverstown

Post by elverstown »

Frosty morning , started car and let it idle 15min on defog, and de frosted screen ok ish, what are the chances of both sides being gone together?
called into Citroen garage today, and was given an estimate of€800+ to take dash out and repair, I recon that is about 1/3 the value of the car and I need to look at the FAP/DPF.
How do I check the actuator motors are working? and what are the views on cutting into the side of the heaterbox to repair
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Sounds like you may have the classic heater flaps problem. Check out the following topic for a bit more on this. On facelift models it is the flaps that fail internally not the motor spindles, so getting motors with longer spindles is not the answer.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=47840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it is the heater flaps then you can get replacement ones from Citroen for about £60 I think. As for cutting the side of the heater box, yes it can be done but my view is that it is probably only possible on the passenger side as there is too much in the way on the drivers side.

I took the dash out on mine and replaced the flaps but had my donor C5 to use for parts and a bit of practice! Don't be put off by the dash removal. It is doable if you are reasonably good with car stuff and there are some shortcuts which make it easier than the Haynes manual suggests (e.g you don't need to remove the airbags separately and can take out the steering column in one section without stripping it first.

I would have no worries about taking the dash out again and it can easily be done in a weekend. Would be happy to offer more advice on this if you decide to go that route. I have some photos somewhere too which I will dig out and there are other posts about heater flaps and dash which I can't find at the moment.

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
elverstown

Post by elverstown »

Thanks Rob.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Here are some pics on how you can change the flaps without taking out the dash (on LHD model): http://citroen-foorumi.com/index.php/to ... 6.325.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google translate may help if you want to understand the descriptions too. :D
elverstown

Post by elverstown »

Thanks Xantippa, very good selection of photos
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally