ZX i.61 rear brake shoes mileage?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SuperSerdo

ZX i.61 rear brake shoes mileage?

Post by SuperSerdo »

I've changed recently the front brake pads @85K Kilometers, Ithe wear indicator light was starting to lit. The rear brakes don't have a wear indicator, but a Citroën mechanic told me they last very long, outliving the car itself, usually other things like the caliper goes before the shoes are worn out, but didn't tell me an approximate "life expentancy" in average driving conditions.
Can anyone tell me what's the aproximate mileage to replace the rear brake shoes? Thanks...[:)]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Mine are on 90K *Miles* and don't need replacing yet. I did clean them up and copper grease the handbrake pivots at 75K. Usually, they need changing because a rear wheel cylinder has leaked and comtaminated them.
Another reason for changing fluid regularly.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi -
Here is the definate answer :
They last very long, outliving the car itself, usually other things like the caliper goes before the shoes are worn out.
That's really the best answer [:)]
The rear brakes VERY rare has to do any work at all - other than just barely stop the wheels turning themselves - this is true on ANY car.
Only on hefty load with rear passengers and boot crammed - the rear brakes are doing some real work.
But commonly you'd commute alone in the car by daily use.
You can prevent problems with the rear brakes by servicing them regularly - as they often suffer from stuck brake cylinder (caliper) pistons and rusty joins & retaining springs - a common MOT issue - and the lack of rear brakes on this upcoming Xmas holiday trip with car loaded.
While servicing - you can instantly observe if any brake shoe wear is down to limits - which would be something like 2mm lining thickness left - at lowest point. Or if wear is highly uneven end to end over the brake shoe.
Knowing of this issue - and from my first Citroen - a BX - I was aware of these problems when I got my CX (BX & CX have disc brakes on rear - but suffer from the same general problems). On my CX I only replaced the rear pads once during the 10 y's it serviced my family. But the discs were replaced at least twice - because of rust problems.
The main wear on the CX rear pads - was from my own service - where I had to regrind the pad's surface to fit the new discs ......