Sphere problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Sphere problem

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Hello fellas, I'm in need of a bit of help regarding the "Anti-sink" sphere. :roll:

I've had hydroflush in my S2 Xantia for the past 4000 miles in preparation for fitting new spheres. The hydroflush drained out of the rear brake nipples with ease, the three spheres (bought new from AEP) under the bonnet were changed with no problem. Even the rear corners came off with just a little persuasion. The middle sphere, on the other hand, is a different matter.

The nut on the feed pipe was seized and took some freeing, and although the sphere took time to come free it came off clean. Put the new sphere on and connected the pipe to it, started the car and raised it to high and LHM came flooding out of the pipe in a rage. Dropped the car back down and took the sphere off. All seems well, so connected them back together - same result. The fluid is rushing out when on high and only stops permanently when the car is on low.

My thoughts are that either the pipe is not seating into the sphere for some reason, or the pipe is split. I'm in need of a fresh pair of eyes as I'm getting nowhere fast with this. Is there a procedure for fitting the middle sphere back onto the car re the brake pipe?

Any thoughts, good or bad, are welcome.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Sphere problem

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Silly question. You did fit a 4.5mm LHM tube seal (assuming there are only 6 spheres in total) onto the pipe before fitting the new anti-sink sphere, didn't you? It is possible to forget, as it normally stays in the old sphere when you withdraw the pipe. With care (and a long, thin pair of tweezers) it is possible to recover and re-use the seal.

Something to make life easier in the future is to also fit one of the old square section 'O' rings onto the anti sink sphere before fitting it back onto the bracket. It does not do any sealing (that is what the tube seal does), but it prevents any rust from binding the sphere to the bracket.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Nov 2014, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Did you replace the seal on the pipe? It sounds to me like it's missing or not seated properly?

It's little tubular seal that pushes onto the pipe before you put it into the sphere. When you remove the pipe the old seals can stick inside the sphere and go unnoticed..
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

And there's the rub. It's seven years since I replaced these spheres and haven't done any inbetween so my memory convinced me that the seal was integral to the sphere. I've checked the old sphere and the seal is still intact but won't budge. I could refit the old sphere for now but will just get a seal and see if that sorts the problem.

Citroen, GSF, AEP or does it not really matter?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The old seal will only be stuck because the threads will have imprinted some grooves in the rubber. A pair of fine needlenose pliers will get it out. Failing that put a right angle bend (about 1-2mm long) on the end of a straightened out paper clip, push a very small screwdriver down the edge of the seal, run it around the edge then hook the seal up from the bottom with the bent paper clip. (A dental tool with a bend on the end is perfect for this but not everyone has one of those :wink: )

Unless you're very unlucky the seal will be perfectly reusable. I've always just reused the anti-sink sphere seals...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I use a suitably sized screw to get the seals out.. just screw it in gently and if it doesn't free straight away try a rocking motion
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Silly question.
Yes I did forget the seal. :oops: :oops:

Middle sphere fitted together ok after some persuasion. Suspension rises and falls as it should but the nsr corner sphere weeps. I've taken it off three times, checked the fit and the seal, all seems well. I've even nipped it up with the tool and the result is the same.

It has been suggested that there could be corrosion on the strut fitting but all seems to be ok. Any ideas what the cause is or how to remedy it?
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Eddie,

Have a look at my sticky re the suspension and look for Chris Morewood's thread re the dowty seals I have done it and it is a good cure for the leaking sphere which is due to corrison on the lip of the hydraulic cylinder.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=48254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Interesting read.

After reading that lot I took the rear spheres off fearing the worst but was surprised to find the cylinders in decent condition.
So what to do with brand new spheres, seals, and a leak? Considering it's a Citroen, when you've done the obvious and logical, do the not so obvious and completely illogical - swap 'em over!? [-o<

Why not? Nowt to lose and I've tried everything else. So I dowsed the seals in LHM, fitted them to the opposite cylinders and re-fitted the spheres . . .

. . . and voila - no leak! :shock:

Sent the suspension up and down a few times and nothing - not a drop. The ride is pretty good but not as good as I hoped for (maybe that's riding around in the XM for a week), so probably a lot more air in the system so going to bleed over the next couple of weeks a bit at a time.