307 1.4 HDI Top End Rattle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adam.007

307 1.4 HDI Top End Rattle

Post by Adam.007 »

Hi Guys

Year:2003
1.4 HDI
Mileage: over 100k

Problem: Top End rattle

When the problem Started:

Just a short while ago- was building up speed to join the dual carriage way. Got to about 50mph and the rattle started. Came off dual carriage and i can hear the noise on tickover and when driving.

Booked in at the garage:

Had my local mechanic to have a look. He mentioned that it is definitely coming from the top end and without stripping we cannot advise what has gone wrong but he did say try the Forte Top end treatment as see how it goes. Poured in Forte treatment and approx 40 miles the noise disappeared. Sadly after 500 miles the noise has re-appeared again.

Spoke to another mechanic and he has advised me to remove and clean the sump pan and change the oil strainer/pickup pipe. I've followed his instructions and had done just that. When doing this i noticed the sump pan was clean and so was the pickup pipe. There was no traces of any sludge. I did change the pickup pipe and cleaned out the oil level tube with compressed air.

Started the Car

Started the car and the top end noise was still there. Drove it for approx a week and it has gone considerably quieter to the extent where it is not that noticeable but if you listen carefully, the noise is still there and if you rev it at idle you can hear it. The noise is not as loud as before.

Advise/help needed please

I've got a small collection of peugeot and citroen cars. I consider myself to be a peugeot/citroen enthusiast/fanatic :-D

Ive had this 1.4 HDI for 8 years now and really want to keep it and maintain it to a high level.

The top end noise is still there but not as loud as before. What could be wrong and what steps can i take?

Your input would be highly appreciated

Thank You

Adam :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 307 1.4 HDI Top End Rattle

Post by RichardW »

Adam

Is it an 8V or a 16V unit? The 16V unit uses a chain that links the front and rear cams can wear its tensioner which causes untoward noises (and is not good....) :cry:
Richard W
Adam.007

Post by Adam.007 »

Thank You, Richard for your reply.

In this particular car it has an 8V engine. I believe the engine code is 8HZ.

Adam :)
Adam.007

Post by Adam.007 »

Richard

I'm thinking could it possibly be the hydraulic tappets that could be causing the noise from the top end. Its really is hard to describe the noise.

In a matter of speaking if we put our thumbs on the hydraulic tappets, would flushing the engine cure the tappets issue?

Adam :cry: