MOT advisories

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
Posts: 394
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 04:45
x 2

MOT advisories

Post by xantiagreen »

Just got the xantia back from garage today after investigating the clutch leak (found to be some sort if anti corrosion coating) and also MOT, following advisories:
N/S and O/S front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement
N/S track rod end ball joint has slight play

N/S and O/S rear upper sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement, citroen mechanic said that the MOT centre may have mistook the noise from the Upper engine steady bush as rear sub-frame bushes as he has never changed the bushes on rear sub-frame of a xantia.

Upper engine steady bush is making a jolting movement when accelerating and lifting off.

Am I right in saying that the track rod end is sold separate to the ball joint, only when I look at photo of track rod end it shows a ball joint fitted.
Is there a upper ball joint fitted on the 110 hdi's.

This is advertised as a track rod end for a xantia hdi
Image

This is advertised as ball joint for a xantia hdi
Image

Also citroen mechanic has pointed out that the upper engine steady bush needs replacing, in the photo below it is visible (arrowed) but is behind the part circled, the mount is fitted with three bolts, can I purchase the bush on it's own as a kit (what part am I looking for) or what is the correct name for the mount with the bush in and where can I get it from.
Image
Thanks in advance.
Miguel

Re: MOT advisories

Post by Miguel »

xantiagreen wrote:Just got the xantia back from garage today after investigating the clutch leak (found to be some sort if anti corrosion coating) and also MOT, following advisories:
N/S and O/S front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement
N/S track rod end ball joint has slight play

N/S and O/S rear upper sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement, citroen mechanic said that the MOT centre may have mistook the noise from the Upper engine steady bush as rear sub-frame bushes as he has never changed the bushes on rear sub-frame of a xantia./img]

Thanks in advance.
I can't see how the MOT tester can have done that. They do a visual check under the car and look at the subframe bushes...

Track rod ends look like your picture. The balljoint is integral with them. The other balljoints you show are for the ends of the wishbones - a different thing. A decent (not Kwik-fit type places) will often change a track rod end for you if you supply the part and have the tracking done afterwards..
xantiagreen
Posts: 394
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 04:45
x 2

Re: MOT advisories

Post by xantiagreen »

Miguel wrote:
xantiagreen wrote:Just got the xantia back from garage today after investigating the clutch leak (found to be some sort if anti corrosion coating) and also MOT, following advisories:
N/S and O/S front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement
N/S track rod end ball joint has slight play

N/S and O/S rear upper sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement, citroen mechanic said that the MOT centre may have mistook the noise from the Upper engine steady bush as rear sub-frame bushes as he has never changed the bushes on rear sub-frame of a xantia./img]

Thanks in advance.
I can't see how the MOT tester can have done that. They do a visual check under the car and look at the subframe bushes...

Track rod ends look like your picture. The balljoint is integral with them. The other balljoints you show are for the ends of the wishbones - a different thing. A decent (not Kwik-fit type places) will often change a track rod end for you if you supply the part and have the tracking done afterwards..
The citroen mechanic had a look and found them to be in very good condition also and could not find how the MOT chap placed the rear sub-frame bushes as an advisory. Am I right in thinking if I replace both track rod ends/both drop links/both ball joints/both control arm bushes front axle front and rear that the tracking and road holding should be as near perfect.

Do you know what that part is in between the two arrows in picture above (engine bay photo)

Cheers
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1784

Re: MOT advisories

Post by CitroJim »

xantiagreen wrote: Do you know what that part is in between the two arrows in picture above (engine bay photo)
It's a vibration damper....
citroenxm
Posts: 7997
Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 00:10
x 49

Re: MOT advisories

Post by citroenxm »

And dealer only too... not expensive iirc .. and its the one further back between your arrows.. :wink:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 9652
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 493

Re: MOT advisories

Post by RichardW »

This bit - still available by the looks of it:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000183946 MOUNTING BRACKT 25.25 GBP 30.30 GBP 30.30 GBP

If it's, er, a bit worn it can look like this :rofl2:

Image

Note that the track rod ends on an HDi 110 are different to most other Xantias, so make sure you get the right ones. Wishbone bushes slightly deteriorated is a common advisory, but often doesn't need acting on - they like to list it when they've got just a but of surface cracking.
citroenxm
Posts: 7997
Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 00:10
x 49

Re: MOT advisories

Post by citroenxm »

110 hdi uses the larger track rods.. iirc but probably dont they are M16 thread size and not M10..

HDI 90 use the smaller racks and track rods..
xantiagreen
Posts: 394
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 04:45
x 2

Re: MOT advisories

Post by xantiagreen »

CitroJim wrote:
xantiagreen wrote: Do you know what that part is in between the two arrows in picture above (engine bay photo)
It's a vibration damper....
Cheers for info Jim.
xantiagreen
Posts: 394
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 04:45
x 2

Re: MOT advisories

Post by xantiagreen »

citroenxm wrote:110 hdi uses the larger track rods.. iirc but probably dont they are M16 thread size and not M10..

HDI 90 use the smaller racks and track rods..
Thanks for the heads up citroenxm.
xantiagreen
Posts: 394
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 04:45
x 2

Re: MOT advisories

Post by xantiagreen »

RichardW wrote:This bit - still available by the looks of it:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000183946 MOUNTING BRACKT 25.25 GBP 30.30 GBP 30.30 GBP

If it's, er, a bit worn it can look like this :rofl2:

Image

Note that the track rod ends on an HDi 110 are different to most other Xantias, so make sure you get the right ones. Wishbone bushes slightly deteriorated is a common advisory, but often doesn't need acting on - they like to list it when they've got just a but of surface cracking.
I do hope it's this part does it include the bush inside the mount, (car makes a jolting movement when you foot it from low revs and lift off, if you drive it very carefully everything's fine I initially thought it might have been gearbox mounts or engine mounts). I hope I'm wrong.

Image

1. drop link/link rod (Activa model shown I think)
2. anti roll bar bush
3. front wishbone bush
4. anti roll bar
5. track rod end
6.track arm/wishbone
7.at the bottom end of wishbone is ball joint

Is that correct am I missing anything that isn't visible in the pic (trying to know the correct terminology for the parts on the xantia with pictures.

Cheers
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021
Posts: 12014
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1513

Re: MOT advisories

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Item 1 is DEFINITELY for an Activa, as that is the ram they use.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1784

Re: MOT advisories

Post by CitroJim »

That Activa ram won't last long. It's missing its gaiter...