AX DRIVESHAFT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tris

AX DRIVESHAFT

Post by tris »

Hi,
I have just bought a new driveshaft(O/S) for my '93ax debut as the old one is making a hell of a noise. The problem I have is this. I have dismantled the car to a stage where all I have to do is remove the driveshaft from the hub. The bolt is off, but I can get the driveshaft out, it seems to be siezed.
My question is this: If I hit the shaft too hard, is there any chance of damaging the hub/ bearings? I don't care if I flatten the end of the thread with the hammer as I am fitting a new shaft. Are there any techniques or tools which anyone can suggest for the job?
Many thanks,
Tristan.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The bearings may move a bit if you give the driveshaft end some welly with a big hammer but this is fairly unlikely (try getting them out to change them without a press)and they should pull back into place when you tighten the big hub nut.
Stewart
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I always use a three legged puller on the end of the driveshaft (gripping behind the wheel nuts and pushing on the shaft). It is very tight and simply hammering the end may not free it particularly if it has not been removed recently. You have to be a bit careful not to damage the gearbox end unless you withdraw the driveshaft from there before you start. A puller is also needed to free the inner UJ and pull this off of it's splines.
If you are keeping the car some time and intend to DIY you'll be removing driveshafts and inner UJs to replace the gaiters so buying a puller is a good investment. It makes a real sh!tty job a lot easier...
Good luck.