C5 HDi Fuel Pressure Regulator Testing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

C5 HDi Fuel Pressure Regulator Testing

Post by xantom »

I've had 2003 Series1 C5 HDi for over a year now. It's a good car in lovely condition and, although a Xantia fancier generally, I'm well impressed with the big C5 estate. It isn't working at the moment though. It just won't start. I've been running it on about 1/3rd mix of vegetable oil as I read this was okay. It's been running beautifully like this for about 8 months and in that time has had a non-start incident shortly after adding the veggie to the tank (still maintaining the 2:1 mix). This was cleared by a garage courtesy of Green Flag. The garage didn't know why it started when they were checking it out, it just did. Because of that, I think I might have gunked up stuff. The veggie tends to clean out the pipes. This time it did the same non start after my adding the 1/3 veggie to my 2/3 full tank of deisel. I paid a nice man with a van to come and diagnostic it on my driveway and a few other fault notifications happily cleared but the fuel pressure was consistently low, way to low for the engine to get underway. I've scoured the forum and on the basis of what's there have removed the FPR. I'm currently soaking it in a jar of petrol in case it has just got gunked and stuck. Does anyone out there know if I can at least test it mechanically for correct movement, assuming the probe is meant to move? It doesn't move right now but should I be able to press the probe in and out a bit? I'm going to let it soak most of today and then re-insert it and try the car again. I have read that it might be a blocked filter and, from the description, my FPR has the silver tip to the probe that is the filter (is that correct?). Some mention has been made of grinding off the filter. I'd not be too keen on that as if the filter's there it's probably to protect the injectors but as a diagnostic tool I might try it if the soaking fails. That way, if the car works I'll know what the problem was and get a replacement. Hope you guys can help. Thanks.
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)
Miguel

Re: C5 HDi Fuel Pressure Regulator Testing

Post by Miguel »

xantom wrote:I've had 2003 Series1 C5 HDi for over a year now. It's a good car in lovely condition and, although a Xantia fancier generally, I'm well impressed with the big C5 estate. It isn't working at the moment though. It just won't start. I've been running it on about 1/3rd mix of vegetable oil as I read this was okay.
It isn't ok. You could have gunked up or damaged any (or all) of the fuel system. HDi engines SHOULD NOT be run on any mix of veg at all.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

No expert but.... I have seen the question asked many times.....but I have never seen it to say it is OK with any HDI engine, always a big SCREAM of No

?? Where did you see/get that advice ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Miguel wrote: It isn't ok. You could have gunked up or damaged any (or all) of the fuel system. HDi engines SHOULD NOT be run on any mix of veg at all.
Absolutely so and in addition the veg may have gummed up the piston rings which can lead to lowered compression and a non-start. This is due to the veg polymerising (turning into plastic - think of a well used chip pan) around the piston. When this happens and ring seal becomes less than good the veg can get into the sump oil and wreak further havoc and damage.

Veg use in DI engines like the HDi should never be contemplated. Damage can be extended well beyond the fuel system.

Confine its use to XUD engines with Bosch pumps. The only other known OK PSA engine to run it on is the DK5 2.5TD XM engine.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Post by xantom »

Wow! Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Bit sobering though. I didn't come up with the veggie idea myself, honestly, I did a fair bit of internet reading first. I'm quite taken aback and not a little worried by your responses so I'll re-internet the concept and let you know where I got the info. Basically, I read that not only was it not as dogey for HDi Citroens, as I'd previously believed, but that even Citroen don't invalidate their warranty if you run up to 30% veggie and as French deisel is aboaut 10% bio anyway I was easily convinced. If this isn't true it's another evil from the internet. Having done it though, I'd better try to resolve it. Any ideas on physical testing/proving of the FPR, assuming I haven't killed it yet. Thanks.
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There's a huge difference between veg and bio diesel. Bio diesel is certainly made from veg oil but it undergoes a significant and complex chemical process to remove the glycerols (soaps essentially) from it in a process involving heat, methanol and caustic soda called transesterification.

Certainly 10% bio in mineral diesel is fine but this does not mean 10% straight veg is for the reasons given...

Hopefully if you give everything a good flush out with straight diesel and replace the fuel filter all will come good. Certainly hope so [-o<

Hopefully, with the FPR being well downwind of the filter it'll be OK.

Let us know how it goes please.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm a bit surprised at the comments, my pal has been happily running his Peugeot 2.0 HDI estate on veg oil mix for more than five years now, mileage is approaching 280k without any ill effects.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Does he take any special precautions Gibbo?

What's his driving pattern/style?

I'm intersted to see if there's any mitigating factors that might explain his success.
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Maybe in higher temps and with low oil ratios, some owners are getting away with it.
Surprised that it does not give issues in colder weather. Some put petrol and similar in along with oil/derv in low temps.

I always thought that in tank fuel pumps would have problems pumping a slightly thicker mix of veg/derv in the cold.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:Does he take any special precautions Gibbo?

What's his driving pattern/style?

I'm intersted to see if there's any mitigating factors that might explain his success.
I'll have to ask him Jim, I know he's fussy about the percentage of the mix but haven't discussed it much further . He was trucking, delivering to Tesco and had a ready supply of chip fat from their restaurants, a home made refiner/cleaner and gives the stuff a final filter through coffee filters.

I've not tried it myself, not worth the hassle for the amount of travel I do nowadays.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wizaird

Post by wizaird »

Hi folks, regarding running your vehicle on BIO DIESEL I can confirm I ran my 2003 C5 2.0 HDI on B100 or 100% bio for 3 years and covered over 60000k miles with only 4 issues arrising from contaminated fuel; self inflicted (lol) just replaced filter and cleaned the fuel pump .......30 minute job .......The worst problem was from the vehicle itself and split vacuum pipes and a dodgy MAF sensor. replaced these and hey presto ...she was like a new car again !
Only got rid of it the other week due to new bearings required in the rear swinging arms and other bits and bobs.
Now I have a newer 2006 model and this one needs all its niggles sorting .....check my other post.
This has required a new injector fitting after a solenoid failure and now I have an acceleration issue with the ESP / ASF DEPOLLUTION WARNING FAULT coming on !
Also get an intermittent SERVICE illumination and beep when I attempt tu use crusie control ...sometimes it allows me sometimes it doesn't .............give me my a 2003 model any day !

regards Dave
xantom

Post by xantom »

Hi Guys. Not much progress on my no start problem. Replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator but no change from that. Primer pump is working. I intend now to assume it's a crankshaft position sensor fault and/or a camshaft position sensor fault, neither of which registered on the diagnostic I paid for but which other folk on posts have said was an un-notified fault for them. I read from one post that the sensor was at the 10 o'clock position near the crankshaft pulley. I can't find it there on my 2.2 HDi. Does anyone know it's location as not having the car is complicating my life a bit. Thanks.
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you give me your car engine code i will look on my Auto data software tomorow, as it gives component location
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
xantom

Post by xantom »

Malcolm, thanks for that offer. I've been out to the engine but I'm not sure I've located the codes necessary. Here's what I have. On the Head there are some embossed numbers: 0265 15 16 and on a plate stuck onto the upper cambelt cover are the following: 4013047, 10DZ18 and 95A4HX (that might be 9SA4HX). Hope these are the numbers.
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Service.citroen gives an indication of the locations, 10 o'clock for the cam sensor is not far off, top of the flywheel for the crank sensor. You really need to get it on a Lexia though to see what is going on - you can't really poke and hope with an HDi.... If there's no one nearby (http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) then they can be bought relatively cheaply, and there is plenty of knowledge on their installation and use now. Was there any sign of stuggling to start before it refused? How is the battery - C5s can be fussy about batteries that are a little under par.
Richard W