307 110 hdi issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CMax

307 110 hdi issue

Post by CMax »

Hi guys,

just wonder if any experts on these HDi lumps have came across this issue before or seen this, i'll give you a quck run down on the car its a 307 110 2.0 8 valve hdi

its had the FAP removed and remapped as well as the EGR blocked and removed fully any one that knows the 307 110 setup know there ar boost hoses on the rear
for when the car is cold or doing a fap regen, it uses a doser on the top intercooler and opens the rear to bypass the intercooler when its cold or doing a fap regen, i removed the whole system and modded the ECU to suit this replaced the pipes so its much simple to work on if need be also means am only using one valve to work the turbo, when this was done the car had more power from low down it was great even before the remap that was about 2 years ago but last year the aux belt broke and part of it went into the timing cover and killed few rockers it was at low speed, stripped the car down replaced rockers and tappets from a spare head i had laying around car started and driving fine so i was happy. now few weeks ago the car started to cut out when pushed hard i have planet so i seen pressure leak i done a leak off test and one injector was faulty so with 180k on it i thought i would just get new ones from a dealer i placed an order and got then two weeks ago removed the old ones and new ones in place with new washers ect fired up the car sounded ALOT better let it idle for 15mins then took it for a drive power was more great than ever for a day :( .

that was fine i looked on planet and noticed my injector corrections were even at idle apart from number 3 it was at 2.00 and it was getting worse when being drivin going to 3.00 and 4.00 my mpg started to drop from 51mpg to 42mpg, i was told that these injectors need time to break in so ive put about 200/300 miles on them now, last week i noticed the car was not driving as it should then someone said if the injectors had 190k why dont you change the pump so lucky i had one with 79k i looked online and seen that some injector correction on live data could be down to tappets and rockers as well so i pulled a set from my mates old engine that he was using on stage 2 remap, last thursday i removed my old pump and checked the tappets they where rock solid was told that they should be soft my mates were soft installed them, with the pump and tappets i started the car let it idle for a bit drove it and the car felt better plenty of power better than before i looked at planet the next day and bingo the live data for the injectors where 0.20 for all 4 this was better than before,

when driving number 3 went to 0.89 so thought this was good i filled her up and give it a new fuel filter and service to treat the car, now i had the car on planet again and the number 3 cylinder is now starting to go back to 1.00 at idle and back to 2.00 / 3.00 when driving, and when starting from cold its lumpy for 10/15secs and tad bit of smoke, never like this with the old tappets.

thats the story so far and i hope you stuck with me on this topic lol,

i popped into ECP yestreday and got a new tappet just to see what it was like for myself it was hard to press down well it has a slight movemet so its got me thinking if the spring is to soft would this make the inlet and outlet valves be sloppy and cause the low power and bad mpg?

if thats the case i will replace the two on cylinder 3 and see how it goes if it sorts the issue then i will replace the rest in a few weeks time as my money is tight this month being out of work ect,

any help on this would be great and thank you guys for taking the time to read this
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Re: 307 110 hdi issue

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

I'm not sure how can a hydraulic tappet be tested without it being fed with oil at the correct pressure? I'm assuming that they are hydraulic from your description. I think that substitution is the only thing that's practical.

As for the varying injection corrections there's more than likely multiple reasons. What sensor(s) does the HDi use to work out it's flow corrections. If for example it used a flywheel sensor then could it be that there's a fault with the flywheel 'segments'. It is possible that the new injector is faulty. Also if the existing injection system was worn then the new/replacement parts could be contaminated.

Certainly a poser of a fault.

Steve.
not applicable
CMax

Post by CMax »

Hi Steve

thanks for your reply, I have swapped the injectors round and its always the same on cylinder 3, am just wonder if it could be a leaky manifold?,
as for the injection system I have never had any metal or brass swarff in my fuel housing as I always changed and cleaned it 6k, if something did get passed would it foul the rest of the injectors?

I have not had time to install the new tappets just yet, what would happen if it was a bent valve or damaged rod? or even pistion head?

thanks
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Normally you'd expect any contamination to effect multiple injectors but it does seem that some fail quicker than others. I think that you've got to be looking at a compression test and I'd be surprised if cylinder 3 is within tolerance of the others.

Good luck with you're fault finding, it can be frustrating but worth it in the end. Please post updates if you have time.

Steve.
not applicable
CMax

Post by CMax »

if the compression is down would that make the car run bad and smoke a lot?.

where would i compression tester that would work on the hdi and what would i be looking for in each cylinder

thanks
CMax

Post by CMax »

was watching wheeler dealers tonight (saturday) and edd was working on a land rover and swaped the camshaft over he said it was wore down and that got me to remember about mine when i had it off on of the lobes had a score on it would you think that could be my issue?

cheers
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

If you broke the belt you could have bent at least a valve or a rod if shes burning oil its probably a bent rod

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 903 using Tapatalk 2
Darren