Berlingo 1.9D power loss at certain revs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flc

Berlingo 1.9D power loss at certain revs

Post by flc »

Hi all,
I recently purchased a very cheap 2005 Berlingo 1.9D van with running issues as a little project. I don't really know a great deal about diesel engines but i thought i'd give it a go anyway. I believe its a DW8B WJY engine but i'm not 100% sure how to confirm that.
Basically the van has a loss of power and makes a strange noise an all gears at certain revs. The van starts and idles perfect, it's great under acceleration apart from the certain rev point as mentioned but when its past that point its fine again. Any ideas where i should start?

Thanks
Andy
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Berlingo 1.9D power loss at certain revs

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you can post up the VIN number those members with the relevant access can let you know what the van was wearing when she left the factory (including engine details).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
flc

Post by flc »

Thanks for that Hell Razor5543

The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. If anyone can confirm my engine type i suppose that would be a start.

Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am fairly sure (but not certain) you have the engine you think you have, as the letters WJY appear in the right place in the VIN number (which is why I asked for the full VIN number). Beyond that I cannot help, but it won't take long for somebody with a lot more knowledge to help. What are the revs that cause issues, by the way?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
flc

Post by flc »

It seems to be around 2000rpm, it just has no power what so ever and makes a strange type of clanking noise (think people call it diesel knock) but if i put my food hard down it picks up again. The more i read about similar symptoms i'm leaning towards some kind of timing issue. can anyone help me out a little?

Cheers
Andy