Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
elma

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and the joys of the countryside

Unread post by elma »

xantia_v6 wrote:That one probably started life as a Citroen corporate car, as did my first Xantia V6, R252DVC.

I think that that car may have spent time living in Baldock, I think that it was advertised for sale there in about 2008.
I just checked the V5 and Howard acquired the car on 18/11/04. I misread it before and I am the 4th owner, V5 says number of former keepers = 3. So unlikely it is the Baldock car. I occasionally speak to Howard so will ask him if he knows who the last owner was.

I'm hoping to get an English only V5 now I've moved. The Welsh ones are double sided English and Welsh, which is fine. But they write randomly in Welsh under the English on the English side and it gives me temporary Dyslexia trying to read it.

Thank you Alasdair, appreciated.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Jim is here getting some wires on the 18th ...next Sat...
Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday Alasdair :)

I'll be there straight after I've finished my run at Southwick parkrun ;) I just hope Gabriel behaves herself in the car park this time :lol:

James, good work on swapping the gear selector bulb! I really did find it a PITA when I last did one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Unread post by elma »

It's been a bulb day today. I just placed a wanted ad for the faulty b pillar courtesy light thats internally melted. Fixed it with a file 2 minutes after placing the ad so ad deleted.

I'm about to go check the headlamp aim against one of the containers, I'm sure its cross eyed after driving it in the fog yesterday.

Interior is nice and clean now and I feel like an excited child knowing it's only weeks before I get all my valeting stuff back and do it properly.
IMG_20170312_161611.jpg
IMG_20170312_161552.jpg
IMG_20170312_161545.jpg
IMG_20170312_161542.jpg
I don't think it's going to take all that long to whip this car into shape.

Headliners next on the list. I have a wallpaper steamer to try and melt the glue and I'll use mini paint rollers to keep it smooth. May not work but saves removing the headliner so worth a try.
elma

Unread post by elma »

Headlamp aim done. N/S went up one turn. O/S went down one turn. Looks better, see if people flash me now and then I'll know if I got it right. Left right adjust seemed to do naff all. Will try that again next time theres fog and I can see the beam as well as where it lands.

I just discovered the steering wheels on wonky as well it goes 1.5 turns and a bit to the right but only 1.5 turns minus a bit to the left. Annoying as I don't have the tools to remove the steering wheel here and I want to get the tracking done. Must think of a solution that doesn't involve buying a socket and bar that I already own.

There's only one interior bulb to go now, the one at the top of the rev counter is blown. I'll do that at the same time as the steering wheel and the loose cowling.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

The glue will not melt as it is a contact adhesive which "sets", the foam will also/good chance of having powdered, steam will make it worse.....doom I know but there is not a lot you can do with it except replace/recover normally.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
elma

Unread post by elma »

I'm not so sure about that. It seems to be a common and accepted fix across the internet and mine is still tacky. I'm definitely going to have a go as it can't get any worse. I have a spare headliner but it will need modifying for the V6 so I've nothing to lose. I'll try the back bit first where I don't sit because you've definitely cast a little more doubt in my mind as to this method working.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

You should first correct the steering wheel by adjusting the rack ends until there is equal travel in each direction. If you just move the wheel, you increase the risk of straining the air bag rotary connector (and they are not so easy to find now).
elma

Unread post by elma »

Is there a way of determining if the issue is down to someone putting the steering wheel back in the wrong place or a tracking issue? Everything that has been taken apart in the car near the steering wheel is broken or misassembled. My gut feeling says it's been removed and put back on incorrectly.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Drive along a straight road and mark the top of the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Then with the car stationary, count the turns lock to lock from the marked position. If they are not equal, then the track ends need adjusting, which with care can be done without disturbing the geometry by moving each side an equal amount. Then remove and refit the steering wheel in the correct alignment.
elma

Unread post by elma »

Ok, thanks Mike. I'll mark the straight ahead position, which is noticeably to the right, and book the tracking.
elma

Unread post by elma »

Looks like tracking will be next week. I have far less money than I realised, must be something to do with the full tank of fuel. I must have about £100 of expenses to claim though so if I manage to do that this evening I'l get the tracking this week.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

Unread post by van ordinaire »

xantia_v6 wrote:Drive along a straight road and mark the top of the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Then with the car stationary, count the turns lock to lock from the marked position. If they are not equal, then the track ends need adjusting, which with care can be done without disturbing the geometry by moving each side an equal amount. Then remove and refit the steering wheel in the correct alignment.
Well, I never knew that - summat else I've learned (AND, it's actually useful!)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Yes, I know that a full tank in a Xantia can be a draining experience for the bank account. The XM tank is even bigger.

While not wanting to labour the point, I think that I could have explained the steering wheel alignment issue better, so I will have another go...
To have the steering working to specification, the front wheels must be centred on the steering rack and the steering wheel must also be centred on the middle of the steering rack travel. It is possible (for correct position of the steering wheel) to compensate for misalignment of the steering arms by moving the steering wheel and vice versa.

BUT the air bag connector has only a limited angular travel before the tape inside binds up, and eventually fails. To protect the airbag connector it is vital that the steering wheel is centred on the middle of the rack travel, misalignment of the steering rods does not endanger the airbag connector. So it is important that the steering wheel is not moved on its splines if it was already in the right place. The right place for the steering wheel is where the lock to lock turns are equal from the steering wheel vertical position (which may not be straight ahead for the wheels).

I have met at least one wheel alignment operator who did not understand this.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Unread post by Gibbo2286 »

xantia_v6 wrote:Drive along a straight road and mark the top of the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Then with the car stationary, count the turns lock to lock from the marked position. If they are not equal, then the track ends need adjusting, which with care can be done without disturbing the geometry by moving each side an equal amount. Then remove and refit the steering wheel in the correct alignment.
I don't know about the Xantia but the C5 steering wheel/column has a Woodruff key not a spline so can only be fitted one way.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
elma

Unread post by elma »

So on my car the steering wheel travels more to the right than the left from the central position. Does this mean I do the tracking first as you recommended then assess the steering wheel again or does it mean that the steering wheel is on a spline out and should be adjusted to the left by one spline first?

If thats not clear the steering wheel is noticeably to the right when driving straight ahead but turns equally right and left from there although ends up in differing positions at full lock on either side.