Xantia week 2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Xantia week 2

Post by elma »

Didn't have a good first week in the Xantia.
First day at work I drove into a kerb in the carpark and broke a tyre.
Bit of a shame as 1 came broken so I'll be off for 2 tyres tomorrow.
It's running on a pair of 14s up front from the 306 and it's own 15s at the rear now, not ideal.

The rev counter is still under reading so I will adjust the sensor.
The turbo is turning now but the pipes are ballooning quite a lot on the outlet side so they are being replaced, probably next week.
Still a lack of boost even with loads of zip ties around the pipe to try and stiffen it.
Don't remember if I mentioned it but the Turbo I removed from the 306 had a damaged Impeller, prity easy to fix but I'm not convinced I need it now.

Today I plan to fit my rear spheres, I have the 2 corners and the anti sink.
The guy in the shop got confused about the 4th one so it wasn't there, I'll order a centre sphere today.
Also the rear brake pads will be changed.
The idle speed and the accelerator cable will be adjusted too, the idle stop screw is miles away from doing anything and the cable has been fitted by an idiot.
I have to rest my foot on the accelerator pedal to stop the engine from under revving and sounding horrible.
I'll be looking into turning the reversing lights back on as well.
I also need to pick up my n/s mirror from Royal mail as the one that came with the car is busted.

I have ordered for tomorrow:
Front brake pads and discs.
Oil, fuel and air filters plus oil.
When thats all fitted I'll be filling with Hydra flush
Finally if theres time I'll take off the nsr door card and make the door lock stop jamming.

Got to remember a 9mm flare spanner, wheel cleaner, copper washer, torx set and some bleed hose when I go to town for the vets this morning.

Hopefully I'll get time to clean it and have a good look for where the mystery brown connector goes as well.
I'll do some pictures this week if it gets cleaned and back on 4 matching wheels.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia week 2

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you cannot get a flare spanner it is possible to make one. Get a six sided ring spanner (9mm, obviously), and then cut a wide slot in it. Also, try and get a T55 Torx as well, there are bits on a Xantia which use them (front calliper mounts come to mind, and these have to come off when changing the front disks).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, that's a good tip on the making of a flare nut spanner. I have done just that in the past...

It's not quite as good as the real thing though as it has a bit of give.

Another way is to do the same with a cheap hex socket and weld a handle onto it. That can be very effective for tight hydraulic unions..

Elma, there's plenty to keep you busy there for a day or so.. I'm really enjoying reading your adventures. Have yu thought of starting a blog down in the Blogs and Galleries area of the forum?

I think you should :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

Made this years ago from gauge plate for 8mm AF pipe unions. It works better than a flare nut spanner on rusted and rounded parts because it bears on the flats and does not tend to round the corners. Principle would work for other sizes.

To make, for example for 8mm union, drill 5mm hole and fix screw and hex nut in it, scribe round hex, remove screw and center punch apexes, drill about 2mm holes in the 6 positions, enlarge center hole to near 8mm, then carefully file to fit hex. Then add other details as necessary.

Fred
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a great little tool Fred, excellent :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

I didn't realise there was a blog area, I shall carry on there next week.
I managed to buy the spanner, shame as that tool above looks awesome.
I visited my friend in his machine shop yesterday and it would've been a great time to create one.
Couldn't get wheel cleaner or copper washer, but the long bleed hose and a new set of 3/8 tx bits came home with me as did the mirror.
I did get engine degreaser though which will be useful as I have a couple of leaks around the p/s pump and hydractive sphere but can't tell exactly where from.
Wise words on the T55, thankfully I kept mine from the last Xantia don't think I've used it since.

I've got the mirror, going to install that first while I'm clean then get stuck into the rear spheres.
I want to do the gearbox oil too, forgot to mention that, had some on the shelf so may as well use the clean stuff.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Is that copper sump plug washers you're after Elma?

If so then get a bulk lot from ebay here.
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Yes thats the ones, copper sump washer for tomorrows oil change.
I've ordered some off ebay.

Will still have to grab one with the oil filter tomorrow though.
Pleased you put that link up, I remembered them being 16mm

Just having a quick brew then off to replace the rear spheres.
Got soaked doing the mirror so this should be fun.

Going to take dog up to Ogwen for a run after the spheres then do the gear oil as soon as I get back while it's nice and warm.
Not sure weather to do rear brake pads before or after walk, probably after because we're both itching to go.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just ordered some myself!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Some do use 16mm ones. V6s as far as I know. Generally though the 14mm one is the one used on the XU series engines...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Spheres are done.
Got soaked through again.
Tyres are ordered as well, can't have the ones I want til the 12th but I'd rather wait.
All4 of mine are safe and legal despite the weird size anomaly.

Just off with the dog now.
Might call it a day on the car now.
RPM sensor and rear pads can be tomorrow if the rain doesn't improve.

Got some photos to upload later.