Idiots guide required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Idiots guide required

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Wait for Simon (Mandrake) to read this post!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Wait for Simon (Mandrake) to read this post!
:lol:

It's not hard Mike... The manifold is not that bad. Just use a new gasket (part No. 0348 K7).

Basically, front bank cover off, coil out and there's the three front plugs.

To remove the manifold, remove all the pipery and electrics to the throttle body, discontent the ICV electrical connector, disconnect the cruise linkage rod and disconnect the throttle cable by removing the plate holding it to the top of the throttle body.

Undo the two 10mm fixings holding the rear bank plug lead guide. A bolt at the front and a nut at the back hidden. Move out of the way.

Loosen the loom box that runs across the front of the manifold. Move it as far away as needed to expose the front manifold bolts.

Remove the two 13mm bolts holding the rear of the manifold to the rear lifting eyes. Disconnect the MAP sensor.

Separate the multi-way plug on the LH side and the small vacuum pipe.

Undo the manifold bolts gradually and in head-tightening sequence until all out. Note one is an Allen head. Note where it goes.

Carefully lift off the manifold noting there may be a hose clip by the ICV attached to the small pipe going to the expansion tank. The manifold is heavy and an assistant is valuable.

Undo the bar over the rear bank dummy coil and then remove the rear bank dummy coil.

The plugs are deep in their wells. Blow out each well with an airline first. Check for any oil in the plug wells.

Carefully remove each plug with a forward and backward motion initially as they may have carbon on their bases and be a bit tight.

Reassembly is a reversal of disassembly... Use a new gasket and don't stupidly overtighten the bolts. Tighten gradually in head tightening sequence.

I will have forgotten something Mike so Simon, please flesh it out and add as you see fit :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

When looking at Jims' list it looks a bit daunting but having done it myself it's not anywhere near as difficult as it may appear, just look around the manifold at whatever might be obstructing it's removal and away you go, a small dose of common sense and a new gasket is all thats needed.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard, you're quite right, it's just quite a lot of small steps really... Nothing difficult.

One little tip, smear the new gasket with Vaseline and stick it to the manifold first as that has the locating dowels. Then there's less risk of the new gasket slipping when the manifold is being refitted.

Also, you need to remove the bar between the manifold and the engine mount to allow the loom to move sufficiently out of the way to get to the front manifold bolts.

Although they're awkward, do not be tempted to leave out the rear manifold bolts - the ones that screw into the lifting eyes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Ditto, nothing to be scared of, looks far worse than it is. Warm the engine a little first which may lessen the risk of breaking the plastic bits. Worst bit is back ache from all the leaning over.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:Worst bit is back ache from all the leaning over.
That's true :twisted:
superloopy wrote:Do i need to dribble anything down the plug wells to assist in loosening?
No, they are best kept dry but do blow any rubbish out so that it doesn't drop into the cylinder when the plug comes out and clean up any oil in any of the wells. The well nearest the oil filler often gets a bit oily from spills during refilling or topping up.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That bar often goes walkies Mike as fitters can't be bothered to replace it.. Ditto the rear manifold bolts in the lifting eyes and the rear mount for the plug lead guide, the one that is broken on Simon's car...

The outer corrugated insulation does get hard and crack up over time. Quite normal sadly... All V6s have it to a greater or lesser extent.

It's not a problem as it's only the very outer covering. The underlying wiring will be found OK...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Wait for Simon (Mandrake) to read this post!
Not much for me to add really, Jim has covered it all pretty well!

The hardest part of the job really is physically lifting the inlet manifold out and back in - it's hard on the back if you're doing it yourself as the manifold is solid alloy and you're having to bend well over into the engine bay. (Lift the suspension of the car up to maximum height before starting the job - a lot easier on your back!)

Also if you don't disconnect the LHM pipe that cuts across the top of the engine (I never do) then you have to thread the throttle body out underneath it, which can be fiddly as the throttle body area tends to snag on stuff as there are a lot of protrusions. Also be careful of the breather pipe that is connected below the throttle plate to the left - it looks like a corrugated plastic tube - they get brittle with age and if you bend it too far or forget to disconnect it before lifting the manifold it WILL break...

I like Jim's idea of putting a thin smear of Vaseline or grease on only the bottom side of the gasket when refitting it as it is hard to guide the manifold into place without hooking the gasket out of position. For some reason the location peg at one end is on the top half and at the other end on the bottom half! This also means that if you move the manifold sideways when you've only just started lifting it it will tear the gasket...

The gaskets are cheap so I would buy two, especially if it's your first attempt at the job as you don't want to be without one if you tear it. Also make sure you block the inlet runners with scrunched up pieces of paper kitchen roll as soon as you've lifted the manifold so nuts/bots don't get dropped down into the inlet. (And remember to remove them before reassembly :) )

One final thought - make sure you torque up all the bolts on the manifold flange where the gasket is BEFORE you torque up the bolts on the engine lift hooks around the back. Otherwise the flange may not actually be torqued down into the correct position.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Simon, some good stuff added there!

Especially the LHM pipe. I forgot about that one completely :oops:

Good point about buying two gaskets. They're so cheap it's rude not to really...
Jim