SEEM .... help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: SEEM .... help needed

Post by CitroJim »

Like this Mike:

If your SEEM gauge looks like this:

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, I'll do a few piccies to make the use of it a bit clearer. The head on mine looks a bit different compared to the one in the picture but the principle is the same. Watch this space....

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, it is the same head as the one I pictured, on my eldest's old Pug 206 actually.

It is easy to apply, just attach it as in my picture and do up the knurled knob fully and read off the SEEM units.

It is important it is attached to the belt on its longest run.

I find a SEEM gauge very hard to attach in an Activa due access issues but on a HDi engine it's easy as it goes across the top run of the belt.

On a V6 it is easy as it's mounted near the bottom but on a V6 it is only needed if you are still using the old dynamic tensioner..
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:Thanks Jim .... <stupid question> ... how do you know when youve tightened it enough though? <end of stupid question> :D
Not a stupid question at all Mike..

The knurled knob bottoms out and immediately stops turning...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, you shouldn't use a SEEM gauge on a 1.9TD as it has an automatic tensioner. Just follow the instructions in the BoL and that's all y need to do to set the tension correctly.

SEEM gauges are only used on engines with manual tensioners like the XU10J2, 8V TU and HDi. XUDs all have automatic ones.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, sorry Mike, we're talking at cross purposes here. I thought you meant the cambely but you are referring to the auxiliary belt aren't you!

In that case the SEEM gauge you have is for tensioning cambelts only.

Adjust your auxiliary belt until it just does not flap around on idle and revving up and down. Don't tension it any more than that.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, excellent Mike :-D

Be good to see how it goes. Yours is a delux one then 8-) Mine will only do toothed belts :(
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I must check Mike!
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Mike :-D

Regarding the tension, I have in the past seen differing figures for new/virgin belts and those that have been used and in the overall scheme of things a change from 115 to 108 SEEM units is very small really...
Jim