Need to change Xantia antisink sphere ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangorn
My Cars:

Need to change Xantia antisink sphere ??

Post by fangorn »

Sorry about double posting in case this has been asked earlier,,,
How can you tell if the antisink sphere (-98 Xantia 1.8 16V Break) needs to be changed ? I know that front and other back spheres are "gone" when the suspension feels hard but what about this one ? My car stays up so for that reason the antisink sphere seems to be in good condition.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Need to change Xantia antisink sphere ??

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Other than removing it and connecting it to a pressure tester (something like the device CitroJim made) there is no way of testing it. Normally people replace it at the same time they replace the accumulator sphere, on the theory that they age at the same rate.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
fangorn
My Cars:

Post by fangorn »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Other than removing it and connecting it to a pressure tester (something like the device CitroJim made) there is no way of testing it. Normally people replace it at the same time they replace the accumulator sphere, on the theory that they age at the same rate.
Thanks ! Is that sphere really only for antisink ? Has it anything to do with brake pressure ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a way to test the anti-sink sphere. It's mis-named and is in fact a rear brake accumulator to provide a reserve of pressure to the rear brake system when the rear anti-sink valve is closed. It was necessary when anti-sink was introduced and hence the (mis) name.

That it is a rear brake accumulator allows it to be tested by ensuring several applications of the rear brakes can be made when the car is stopped and left for a long enough period of the anti-sink valves to come into operation. If then the rear brakes can be effectively applied the sphere has at least so pressure in it.

Test by jacking one rear wheel clear of the ground.

As James said, the only accurate way is to whip it off and test it on a sphere tester.

Be aware that an anti-sink sphere is not conventionally mounted and requires a different procedure to remove..

See my thread on this subject in the 'Supersticky' area of the forum...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fangorn
My Cars:

Post by fangorn »

CitroJim wrote: Be aware that an anti-sink sphere is not conventionally mounted and requires a different procedure to remove..

See my thread on this subject in the 'Supersticky' area of the forum...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks a lot to you, too :)