ZX heater contol lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamer
My Cars:

ZX heater contol lights

Post by hamer »

Any ideas on how to put new bulbs in? I've followed the Haynes manual ie remove radio and reach inside to pull bulbs out. It's impossible. I've managed to slot a mirror in the space to locate the bulbs (there's two of them) and while I can feel them, there's no way of gripping them.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

You have to remove the entire front panel, this involves locating the screws at the bottom of the panel and at the top. If you have the centre console section, from the gear gaiter up to the heater controls, you'll have to get that out of the way, to get the bottom screws out. For more info on this refer to Haynes book-o-lies, Section 12.12, chapter 13 - Cigarette lighter Removal and refitting. This gives a slightly more detailed version of how to remove the heater panel front so you can get to the small bulbs. The front of the heater panel has easily broken clips holding it in place - beware.
As for removing them , I've always resorted to lightly gripping with pliers when my fingers could'nt grip. I've had the odd bulb break, but not so many as I wouldn't continue with this method. Good luck.
James.
My Cars:

Post by James. »

Hi Hamer.
I had the same prob about 6 months ago, I seem to remember there being 4 bulbs not 2? (2 were broken off in the sockets and were a real pain to get out) Sadly some have already gone again! So I am considering putting a lil blob of luminous paint on the tips of the controls so they show up in the dark, rather than strip it all out again!!
Cheers.. James..
Jon

Post by Jon »

Oddly enough, but true, I did this job on Saturday morning.
My car only had 2 bulbs, and 2 empty holes that were bulb sized but not ever connectted to anything. So 2 bulbs was all I could replace!!!
Fairly straightforward job which entailed removal of centre console, gear lever gaiter etc. Then slid out the ashtray assembly complete, removed the radio and its supporting bracket, then a selection of crosshead and then 2 torx type screws. You also have to gently prise out the heater vent. Once done, all is revealed, and the heater panel with the three control knobs comes off complete once the 4 plastic tabs are gently prised in (be careful).[:)]
As the "good book" says, refitting was a reverse of the removal procedure!!! Its important that everything has clicked back fully, or the centre console is difficult to push forward sufficiently in order to refit the 10mm nut securing it at the rear.
A few of the fixings are quite well hidden, particulary the ones above where the ashtray lives, and also the ones that secure the heater pipes to the centre console.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Common problem, in my current ZX the only dashboard light is the fuel guage!!
My Dad also owns a ZX, and him like the rest of as at some point, had to change the bulbs. Being a bit 'handy' with a soildering iron he bought in some white LED's & resistors, then set about making some led's using the standard bulb bases in the speedo, and soildering directly to the tracks in the heater box, (I think) the result?
Well its fine. not as bright as the bulbs, mainly due to viewing angles, and there are a couple of 'dull' patches, again due to viewing angles & there a lighter shade of green. But they are purfectly useable.
The plus side being he's never changed them again!!
I'm sure, if you like I could persuade hime to knock up some sets to do the speedo & heater controls for a small charge, if anyone is interested?? - Remeber we can do different colours but would recommend white as the backing to the speedo & heater controls are green.
Cheers
R