Air-bag warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Air-bag warning light

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Hi again. I'm the one with the blue Xantia HDI 90LX. Thanks for helping me with the air-con and ABS sensors. Now the airbag warning light has come on. It started intermittently and when I turned the car off then restarted it would be ok. Now its on all the time. The manual sais you should redo the airbags by Citroen after 10 years. I am 15. Citroen said they do not do it and it would write the car off if they did. I can get a diagnostic however. Just wondered if anyone knew about this problem before I go down that rout. Could it be the explosives in the component, or malfunctioning connections? Look forwards to any replies. Cheers Rob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Air-bag warning light

Post by CitroJim »

Rob, a very common cause of this problem is loose side airbag or pretensioner connectors under the seats. If you look you'll see some two pin plugs and sockets with surprisingly thin wires.

They work loose over time with seat movements and so on.

Disconnect and reconnect each and hopefully that'll solve your problem.

If not, go see a local member with a Lexia for a diagnosis...

the problem is very unlikely to be related to the age of the airbags...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Re: Air-bag warning light

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Hi Jim,
I replaced the drivers seat about 6 months ago. I will have a good look to check to see about the connectors. I also replaced the instrument panel about the same time. The steering wheel cover is securely on, maybe I should take it off again too and recheck.
Yeah a diagnostic could be a good idea. Its not an airbag age related problem then huh! Thought maybe the gunpowder needs replacing ha!
Good to chat with you and thanx
Rob