Advice and oppinions on C6 required?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Advice and oppinions on C6 required?

Post by HDI »

The lure of a C6 is becoming strong! Just need to know if there are any expensive issues I need to be aware of when looking at prospective examples for sale.
I would prefer to get one with the 2.2 engine but they are very rare so it's likely I'll have to go for a 2.7HDI, so are then any issues with this unit, and the auto box?
Again manual would have been my preference but I don't think it was even an option on the 2.7.
How difficult is access for servicing? Any hydraulic nightmares? The car tax bracket is a cringer but I'm willing to suffer that for a C6!
Does anyone know what the real world average fuel consumption is?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Advice and oppinions on C6 required?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Wait until trainman sees this post. He has a 2.7l HDi C6.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have a look at trainman's C6 Blog in the meantime.

I can attest that that one in particular is a stunning machine.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I should have thought of that blog, but it has been so quiet recently (what with him having 'fun' with the 407 and the Xantia V6) I forgot!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

And here I am.

Let's start with the easy bits.....

2.2 can be got with Manual or Auto gearbox.

2.7 & 3.0 (should you be lucky enough to find one) are Auto gearbox

Things to check:

Ballpoint have a tendency to wear out, particularly the early design ones (modified later).
They and do blow the LDS tank on occasion.
There a hydraulic pipe that runs across the lower engine which has been known to rust due to poor anti corrosion paint.

The biggest problem with the C6 is the lack of availability of second hand parts, I only know of a couple being broken, and price can actually be almost as dear as new.

Citroen are currently offering "fixed price serving on the C6 for £199 which to be fair, isn't a bad price.

Realistically, you need to decide what you're going to use it for, the Exclusive is the more 'common' model as most dealer just went for the top spec, although there are a few Linage models around.

Another thing to check is the build date, this is a silver panel in the driver's door jamb which shows a 5 digit CJ number. The CJ refers to the build factory which was Rennes, the 5 digit give the date of building, like the older RPO number. DO NOT go off the year of registration..... some cars have sat about for 2 years.

Next comes the issue of SatNav, this is a standard feature on the C6, however there are 3 different types....

RT3 - this is the SatNav on a disc in the head unit and a 10 disc CD changer in the boot.

RT4 - this is the SatNav and music stored on a Hard Drive.

My Way - like RT4 but with Bluetooth.

There's a dedicated site http://www.c6owners.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has untold amounts of information on there, otherwise just give me a shout.....
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

I've had my C6 nearly 2 years, about 50K miles. It's a 2006 2.7 Exclusive, RT3. Trainman has covered it, more or less. I've had about 36-37mpg reported from the computer over that time, down to about 32 for my burliest driving, and up to over 40 when I'm feeling particularly worthy. Those are average figures that always include significant motorway miles.

Tyres are big and expensive, and as a large heavy torquey car the C6 wears them out fairly rapidly. I've settled on Dunlop Sportmaxx RT at about £150 each. Otherwise, I don't think the maintenance costs have been prohibitive- the fixed-price deals from Citroen for brakes, battery and so on are good value for this car (maybe not on a C1..!). I replaced the lower wishbones and balljoints a year ago, and I had to replace the alternator recently (no free time meant dealer-£££), but there haven't been any other large expenses besides basic maintenance. It is a complicated car however, with the capacity to throw confounding situations at you (woe betide any mechanic who closes a door with the battery disconnected, etc).

I love it, and will find it difficult to move to anything else. Modern cars seem to be focused on things I couldn't care less about - on-the-limit handling, racecar-aping looks, and so on. The '6 feels like the last of a generation of cars with a subtler incentive, as if it hopes that when you get out at your destination you'll feel just a bit calmer and happier than when you got in. It's not for show-offs- there's no brand identity, or gilded ornaments- but it enjoys a playfully confident design language. If it ever dies I'll just have to go back to ancient Mercs, which wobble along grandly, and largely ignored, just as I prefer.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

I totally agree, I ask every C6 owners two questions.....

How many times do you catch yourself looking at the car as you drive passed a shop window?

How many times do you look over your shoulder as you walk away from it?

The C6 is like the big old armchair, that doesn't go with the decor of the house, but somehow, slots into a place, that you know is just right, but can't explain why...
Steve

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

The C6 was on my wishlist (against the C-Crosser) when I was buying my current car, but the thing I just couldn't live with out was not having the proper 5th door, which meant you're quite limited in the size and volume of things you can put in it ... true, C6 isn't a utility vehicle, or something in which you would transport bricks and stuff, but since we had 1st and 2nd gen C5s in the family, and I had a Xsara 3-door, I know what it means to have a boot that opens like a whale's mouth ... that's the same reason I opted for the Tourer/Estate C5, not the Sedan/Saloon ... but the C6 is still my dream car (can't exactly count the DS9, Metropolis since they're not on the road yet ... :D ) ... and if I had some extra cash to get one and care for it, it would definitely be a car for special occasions ... :D ... also, I've seen just about every YouTube clip regarding the C6 and there isn't a car that can match it on the road (general appearance) ...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thanks so far guys, most helpful. One thing I would really like is a sunroof, was this an option, as I haven't seen any C6's with it fitted?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

There are a few, and I do mean a few. Yes it was an option that not many took up. In actual fact there were a total of three options on the Exclusive, Sunroof, Metallic Paint and the Lounge Pack (slide and tilt electric rear seats).
Steve

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Damn! In that case I hope the ventilation system is good as I've rarely been satisfied with airflow in a car without a sunroof. I even use a sunroof to augment airflow in winter!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Airflow, its not often I do not have my window open either

Have you tried fitting the window wind covers ? , on a SAAB I had they worked a treat in killing wind noise with a back window cracked open and the new smoked versions are easy to fit and are quite stealthy in look.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

I would have loved a sunroof, but apart from being very rare they are also apparently pretty small and far back in C6's. There is a fancy climate control system which I find more than enough for blasting air around the car, however. The front windows have an "interesting" characteristic that if you open then close them at high speed (80+) they don't quite seal properly on the rear edge and are noisy till you slow down again. This is much discussed on the C6 site and there are a few solutions, but it's a common peculiarity.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Jodyone wrote: The front windows have an "interesting" characteristic that if you open then close them at high speed (80+) they don't quite seal properly on the rear edge and are noisy till you slow down again. This is much discussed on the C6 site and there are a few solutions, but it's a common peculiarity.
I found that with the GS. The airstream 'sucked' them outwards and as they were curved they wouldn't slot into the top groove.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

myglaren wrote:
Jodyone wrote: The front windows have an "interesting" characteristic that if you open then close them at high speed (80+) they don't quite seal properly on the rear edge and are noisy till you slow down again. This is much discussed on the C6 site and there are a few solutions, but it's a common peculiarity.
I found that with the GS. The airstream 'sucked' them outwards and as they were curved they wouldn't slot into the top groove.
Crikey the DS suffers from this problem, nice to hear that Citroen learns from earlier errors :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH