Picasso cold start problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Picassopower
New User

Picasso cold start problem

Post by Picassopower »

Wondering if anyone can assist, I have a picasso 2005 1.6 HDI 110 version.

I've been experiencing a cold start issue for sometime, so long now I can't remember when it first started and it doesn't seem to have got worse nor better. Engine Management light has not come on at any time during the problem.

When I first start it of a morning or from complete cold it chugs and throws out a fair bit of blueish smoke, however it drives from cold fine and usually by the time I reach the end of the road which is literally 30 seconds the idling speed is fine, no chugging. Driving whilst warm is fine as well, no idling problems.

I gave it a service the other week and changed the air filter which was really dirty but it made no significant change to the idling, however I did notice that the accelerator cable unit was cable tied to a metal frame near the fuse box housing. I only noticed this because Haynes said you might have to unbolt the accelerator housing in order to get the air pipe and box out of the car. I can't for the life of me work out where the accelerator housing should be fitted, I presume from Haynes its up near the brake reservoir but can't see where this would bolt on. I presume whatever it should be bolted to isn't there and so someone cable tied it to the frame to stop it from moving about whilst in motion.

As I am having no engine light show I wonder if somehow the cable is loose but then would this not mean the warm idle would be low as well?

Can anyone post a few pics of where the accelerator cable housing is bolted onto (better than the Haynes manual!) as my first thinking is somehow its to do with that and not a sensor.

Other than that does anyone have any ideas?
Xsara Picasso 2005 1.6 HDI 110
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Picasso cold start problem

Post by Xantidote »

Any cold start issue, my first thought would be to check the glowplugs, although it may not be so critical on HDI engine as opposed to a TD. HDI experts will correct me if I'm wrong.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

HDi glow plugs don't operate above -5°C except as post-heading for awhile once the engine is running, to reduce emissions.

Otherwise I'm no help, sorry.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it smoke while you are turning it over? if so fuel is getting in OK so it could be that the battery is past its best and not turning it over fast enough, or could be a lazy starter. If you don't have any smoke probably air getting into the fuel system.

Peter