Water preheater- need hose size

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Water preheater- need hose size

Post by c.morewood »

I'm considering fitting one of these http://www.podgrzewaczesilnika.pl/en/oferta/2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image this winter.. about £70 from Poland. ( compared to at least £95 Fleabay)
Although last winter wasn't really a winter, I'd like to give the old girl and myself a warm start at 5am in January (and maybe even plug it in at work on a night shift to avoid the dealy in getting home and to bed) especially on the few -20C days. I've seen about 20 days below -15 in the 7 years I've been up here.So the question is ..Does anyone know the diameter of the radiator/heater hose which this thing needs to plug into?
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Water preheater- need hose size

Post by CitroJim »

Chris,

That looks an excellent little device :-D Could do with one of those on my C1 as it takes ages to warm up and for the heater to get going...

Better in a lot of respect than the Erberspacher with must haver the engine running before it operates which in some ways defeats its purpose...

The standard Xantia heater hose ID is 19mm..

I know this from when I've had cause to join them with couplers...

I'll be most interested to know how well it works in due course....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Thanks Jim, You're a star.. If they ever get back to me I'll be ordering it in about a week.. I'll let you know.
Shame the Sound on the video is in Polish, but you'd expect that, The advantage of this one is that it doesn't rely on heat transfer to circulate the warm water, there's actually a pump built in which should lead to quicker warm up times and all of the water being heated.
I just need to find the hose which leads to the heater matrix as the instructions say that it has to be fitted...

The device must be connected in series to the hose of the car heater or to the hose of the short circulation in such a manner that the direction of liquid flow marked in the device is directed towards the engine.
the BOL and Citroen service aren't really that helpful for this .. I guess it'll be a case of lying under the car and tracing the hoses.
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I can remember on the HDi Chris, the hose that connects to the RH side of the heater matrix connector is the flow from the top of the engine (via the thermostat housing) and the LH is the return to the bottom of the engine so on that basis and to follow how I believe it works normally the circulating heater needs to be installed so it pushes hot water from its flow side toward the RH side of the matrix so that it flows firstly through the matrix and then flows around the bottom of the engine water jacket back up to the thermostat housing and back to the return side of the heater...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

That's exactly the info I was looking for Jim..That makes me a lot more confident about tackling this .. which shouldn't really be that complicated.
Thanks again
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

As I'm retired, I am lucky enough to avoid early morning starts, so less need for such a device. Nevertheless interested (curious) all the same.

Question for you, Chris, and Jim:

As the engine will initially be cold, switching this heater on would heat the water in the heater hose, but the engine thermostat will be closed, so the pump this heater has would not be able to pump the water right around the system. Or have I got something wrong, bearing in mind I've no knowledge of the HDI's cooling system?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Martin, when the thermostat is closed the cooling system 'short circuits' the radiator so the heat generated by the engine into the coolant is circulated only through the heater matrix and effectively completely bypasses the radiator.

This allows for the engine to get up to temperature quickly and ensures there's cabin heat via the matrix almost immediately.

So any auxiliary heater installed in that 'short circuit' path will follow the same route and just warm the heater matrix and engine block whilst leaving the rad stone-cold...

Problem with the HDi is they're so efficient even with the rad out of the loop they still take an eon or three to get warm in the winter... Hence many were fitted with auxiliary heaters like the Eberspacher top combat, to an extent, the problem.

This very same system is used on diesel standby generating plants where they need to be at near normal running temperature at all times so when they are required they can start and run at full load immediately. They also have their sumps heated so the oil too is up to temperature.
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

c.morewood wrote:I'm considering fitting one of these http://www.podgrzewaczesilnika.pl/en/oferta/2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image this winter.. about £70 from Poland. ( compared to at least £95 Fleabay)
Although last winter wasn't really a winter, I'd like to give the old girl and myself a warm start at 5am in January (and maybe even plug it in at work on a night shift to avoid the dealy in getting home and to bed) especially on the few -20C days. I've seen about 20 days below -15 in the 7 years I've been up here.So the question is ..Does anyone know the diameter of the radiator/heater hose which this thing needs to plug into?
That is a mains plug Chris - are you intending to power it from the mains or were you hoping to run it from the car battery.
States in the advert 230V/50Hz & 1100W
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Mains definately Steve. I'll have a timer on it so that it'll go on 30 - 45 mins before I leave in the morning... assuming no powercuts of course and hopefully it will start to defrost the screen slightly as I've noticed that air from the vents will start to clear an obscured screen even before the fan is turned on. fingers crossed.
It takes my Hdi 6 miles in ambient temperatures to even move the needle and is just getting to normal operating temp when I get to work at 15 miles.
Thanks for the info Jim.. no wonder the cardboard in front of the rad wasn't helping it to warm up quicker!! #-o
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As long as you were aware and are able to connect a mains cable to it.
We had similar things in Sweden, with electric 'hitching posts in the residential car parks. Very useful.

My HDi has a supplementary electric heater in the cooling system, just a couple or three glow plugs, that help heat it up in cold weather. Fairly effective, noticeable increase in temperature after a mile and getting quite comfortable by the time I get to work - four miles!
Perhaps one could be adapted to fit your car - they are standard on C5s and one from a scrappy might be usable.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Jim,

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking the thermostat allowed no circulation at all, until it started to open - put it down to a senior moment :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Chris,

i got a spare set of hoses and preheater from Paul which I intend to fit to mine. The preheater works for a short while and then cuts out/turns off and the temp drops.

I've had to cut the hose and refit to stop an annoying leak at the reheater and prior to that I had another annoying leak from the other side of the matrix leading to the water intake at bottom rear of engine block. Both are not leaking at the moment but as we know it can get damn cold up here. During winter living in the country near to Auld reekie it regularly drops below freezing and I've seen it -20 here as well. Mostly 0 to -10 C.

I'm going to be off soon so plan to change hoses at Matrix and in that area. When you are fitting that heater be careful not to break the plastic turbo pipe running at the back during removal and fitting. I've been think about moving the engine slightly forward to improve access.

Any problems noticed during your 'fix' and remedies would be greatly appreciated when i do my hoses.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

myglaren wrote: My HDi has a supplementary electric heater in the cooling system, just a couple or three glow plugs, that help heat it up in cold weather. Fairly effective, noticeable increase in temperature after a mile and getting quite comfortable by the time I get to work - four miles!
What you really need for the winter is a V6 - mine starts instantly without fuss in the cold, the heater is putting out warm air in 1/4 of a mile and is pretty much fully warmed up in 1 mile. None of this additional coolant heater malarkey! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:
myglaren wrote: My HDi has a supplementary electric heater in the cooling system, just a couple or three glow plugs, that help heat it up in cold weather. Fairly effective, noticeable increase in temperature after a mile and getting quite comfortable by the time I get to work - four miles!
What you really need for the winter is a V6 - mine starts instantly without fuss in the cold, the heater is putting out warm air in 1/4 of a mile and is pretty much fully warmed up in 1 mile. None of this additional coolant heater malarkey! :lol:
Absolutely :-D Which is why mine may see some winter use. Must get the old waxy stuff liberally applied underneath first though...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mandrake wrote: What you really need for the winter is a V6 - mine starts instantly without fuss in the cold, the heater is putting out warm air in 1/4 of a mile and is pretty much fully warmed up in 1 mile. None of this additional coolant heater malarkey! :lol:
HDi would warm up as quick if you just hosed neat petrol into the engine bay at sub 20 mpg too :-D
Richard W