C5 2.0 hdi 110 engine cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

big sarg

C5 2.0 hdi 110 engine cutting out

Post by big sarg »

I have a 2004 C5 and for a while every now and again when changing down from 3rd to 2nd gear the engine would cut out and some times would start again when jumped other times it wouldn't or just turn over and over with the key until you take the key out and back in again.

However all of a sudden the problem has got horrendous as in the car can be in neutral idling away and just a simple move of the gear stick will kill the engine. i have pulled the center console off and checked for broken wires under there the only thing i have found don't know if its related tho that the reversing lights have stopped working.

Has anybody come across this problem before if so what did it turn out to be there are a few other people on Google that look like they have had the same problem but no reply to a solution
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 2.0 hdi 110 engine cutting out

Post by Peter.N. »

Ideally you need to get a lexia on it and look for any fault codes. Most engine running problems I have had have been due to the pressure regulator on the HP pump, it has a filter in it that gets blocked but is very difficult if not impossible to clean.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: C5 2.0 hdi 110 engine cutting out

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Has the gear linkage under the bonnet cut into the feed wire to the reversing light switch? (top of the gearbox)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.