206 1.4 8v spark plug replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

duke

206 1.4 8v spark plug replacement

Post by duke »

Hi there,
Does anyone have any tips for locating a new spark plug into the threaded hole in the cylinder head. The hole is at the bottom of a deep tube so it is not possible to get your fingers in. The last thing I want are any crossed threads. I have just bought the 206 and want to take part in the forum to help keep the car in good running order. Although I have always maintained my own cars over many years this is my first peugeot and would value the views of those of you who are experienced peugeot owners.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 206 1.4 8v spark plug replacement

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Mum used to have a Peugeot 504 estate. The spark plugs were a long way in, so she had to get a long plug spanner. As the plugs were loose in it (they fell out at any opportunity) she padded it out (carefully) with insulating tape so the plugs stayed in. It also meant that the plugs went in straight. Mind you, she did later get a much better spanner with a rubber grommet in it that retained the plugs well.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Else as James says or use a piece of soft tube. Push the plug insulator into one end of the tube so the tube grips the plug and now you can carefully drop the plug down the well on the end of the tube and start it on its way..

Once its caught in the threads you can then pull the tube off.

Just be very careful not to cross-thread the plug...

I learned this trick years ago when having to swap recessed tubular bulbs in switches and indicators. GPO Strowger telephone exchanges had similar recessed bulbs all over the place and the GPO made a special rubber tube just for the purpose of changing bulbs in the manner described....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i find once the plug is sitting down the tube in the head if you then just place the plug socket with an extention down after/over it, this is enough to line up the plug thread, just start them off by hand without the ratchet attached

the 206 plugs are not very deep into the head,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
duke

Post by duke »

Thanks for all these tips, I shall have a go and proceed with caution!