Leaking Xantia Estate boot SOLVED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Leaking Xantia Estate boot SOLVED

Post by c.morewood »

Thi applies to all Xantia Estate owners .. check under you boot mat and see if its damp.. also have a check under your rear seats to check for damp there. If you find some water under there then here's a permanent solution.

I was fed up with taking off the plastic inner on the boot door and having to reseal it every winter.
The force with which the door get closed seems to tear the seal away from the door especially in the central area where the plastic seal has to follow the indent for the lock
The solution was to use a strip of hard plastic,( I used the flat bit of cable ducting) cut it into appropriate lengths and drill small holes through it at appropriate intervals. Then screw some self tapping screws through the plastic and throught the sealer into the door.
It doesn't look very pretty in the photo above .. but no one sees it and it works.
There's always the option to reseal with fresh seal before you do the drilling .. I used butyl sealing strip, which seems pretty close to the original and compresses well under the pressure from the plastic and screws.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Leaking Xantia Estate boot SOLVED

Post by CitroJim »

That's very good Chris, excellent modification and if it works who cares how it looks. It's hidden!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Do hatchbacks also need that area under the trim on the inside of their bootlid sealed?
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mirafioriman wrote:Do hatchbacks also need that area under the trim on the inside of their bootlid sealed?
No, they don't. Different design and they don't appear to suffer the same problems...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Wasn't there also a mod to reposition or enlarge the drainholes in the tailgate as the existing ones were inadequate or mis-aligned? Now that might also be appropriate for the saloons.

H