C5 X7 rear brake replacement and more.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

centurus2400

C5 X7 rear brake replacement and more.

Post by centurus2400 »

Despite having a full service history, the rear discs on the new C5 looked well past their best. I bought new discs and pads from Brakes International, I've used them for years with no complaints.
The job wasn't difficult, but of course the wheels had seized on to the hubs, and so had the old discs, so it took a bit longer than anticipated. The most awkward part of the job was getting to the lower mounting bolt on the caliper, as parts of the suspension get in the way. Talking of which it's all very different underneath compared to the old Series 1 C5!

I took the opportunity to have a good look round the whole car while I was at it. The front discs and pads had been replaced about 1500 miles ago by a main dealer - it's a shame they didn't bother to fit the pad wear warning leads. One headlamp bulb had blown, so they too were all changed. This is a definite improvement in that you don't have to take the front bumper off to get to the bulbs, it's a very easy job even for someone like me with big mitts.

The only thing I've found, or rather haven't found,is the rear N/S under tray, which appears to incorporate an exhaust mount. It looks as if it was taken off and never replaced. I'll have to replace it as the rear wheel arch liner should clip onto it, and without any support it tends to flap around.

As I said though, I'm still pleased with the car, and I certainly wouldn't ever expect to buy second hand and find there weren't any of these jobs to do.