Locks interchangeable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Locks interchangeable?

Post by larkspeed »

1997 Xantia 1.8i 5 door hatchback.

My drivers side lock just spins without unlocking the door but the passenger side lock works perfectly.

Can I remove the two locks and swap them around so the drivers side has the better lock?

I never unlock my car by the passenger side unless i have no choice in the matter like the key not working on the drivers side, the car does have remote central locking but the IR transmitter for it is dead, and besides we only have one transmitter but both me and my wife have keys.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Locks interchangeable?

Post by CitroJim »

You could in theory but it's a hell of a job.

Better to get another good pair of locks from a scrapper and use those.

The 'spinning lock' is a very common problem and it points to a well worn lock. The barrel spins naturally if the wrong key is used and only engages with the right key.

This spinning behaviour is, I believe, a protection against screwdriver attacks...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I find it easy to remove the barrels. About thirty seconds for the first one, slightly less for the second.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:I find it easy to remove the barrels. About thirty seconds for the first one, slightly less for the second.
Gosh :shock: How?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Using the release hole in the door edge - pop out the 3/8" round rubber plug, poke in a smallish flat blade screwdriver through the release hole in the handle body moulding, turn the key 45 degrees in the slot so it won't come out, then pull/wiggle with the key to release the barrel from the handle whilst keeping the screwdriver pressed onto the barrel release tab. Once it's about an eighth free, you can pull out the screwdriver.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's excellent Adam :-D Thanks for that =D>
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Go and have a play on one of the cars, the hardest bit is finding the hole in the handle moulding as you poke in the screwdriver tip.
larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Post by larkspeed »

Thanks for that locks switched in about 2 minutes.

A bit of extra info i just figured out, Insert the screw driver so the flat of the blade is parallel to the ground and the shaft is on a slight upwards angle. (about 15 or 20 degrees)

If you carefully move the blade around you will feel when the blade drops into the right spot then just as addo said key in and turned and give the screwdriver a good push and the lock should just slip right out.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

larkspeed wrote:Thanks for that locks switched in about 2 minutes.
Excellent, really pleased that worked a treat for you :-D
Jim