ZX knock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZXdanslamaison

ZX knock

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Hi,
I have a noticed a clunking sound coming from the front of the car (zx 2 litre volcane). You can hear it from the RHS when pulling away and it is particularly noisy if the drivers side wheel hits a drain cover or other small depression in the road.
At first I thought that it was a suspension bushing but the steering still seems pretty tight. Perhaps its a knackered engine mount?
Any ideas[?]
cheers
Al
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Could be the Anti Roll Bar Drop link. I can't see why it would clonk on pulling away though. Do you park on a slope, or turn out of a parking space as you pull off? The ARB Drop links are always wearing they make a god awful clonk, makes you think the suspensions a gonna.
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Thanks for your reply
Its not nearly so loud when pulling away, so perhaps I'm just listening for it too much. The main time it happens is over bumps.
If it was the ARB drop link, then how diffcult/expensive would it be to fix? Is the car unsafe to drive in any way? (it feels top notch apart from this sound)
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Update,
I took both front wheels off this morning and I think I've spotted the source of the knocking. The joint where the steering rack joins the wheel (tie rod end?) has a rubber bushing thats completely cream crackered on both sides. There was no play in the anti roll bar, so I assume I've found my problem.
There goes more christmas money then....[B)]
Edit : I think that its actually "track" rod ends I mean.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

N43618 TIE ROD END ZX ALL L/R £9.50
Shouldn't take too much of your Xmas money!
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

If you find it is not the track rod end, try checking the pinch bolt at the base of the strut. These can wear and cause the sympton you describe. If you remove it you may find it has a grove worn into it. If you replace it ensure you are not supplied with a bolt that is threaded all the way up! They were produced for a while and don't last long. I believe they have gone back to the original method now.