ZX Turbo D. poor brakes and turbo noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

ZX Turbo D. poor brakes and turbo noise

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

hi all,
two things to ask about:
1. the brakes on my 1992 ZX Td are pretty poor/spongy, even still after new pads/discs/shoes/drums and also a new master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and obviously brakfe fluid change, im running out of ideas, could it be something to do with the vacuum etc? if i push the brake pedal without the engine running,the brakes feel good and firm, holding my foot down, when i start the engine the pedal sinks a few cm's, this tell anything?? help!!
2. when accelerating or simply cruising over 3000rpm with the turbo slightly kickin' in, a very hard to describe noise occurs, like a fierce vibrating noise. this happens especially when putting my foot down pushing it hard, i am worried that my turbo is on its last legs???
regards,
Dan
1992 ZX TD 84000
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Don't know about the turbo but as for the brakes. The test you have done with the ingnition off and then on shows that the servo is woking ok. As you have changed all the obvious bits have you considered that the system may still have some air trapped in it?. If it's any consolation My first Citroen a Xsra VTR had the most appauling brakes I had ever driven with. They felt as thought nothing happend until the pedal was on the floor, but after several visits to a main agent from where it came they convinced me that 's how they should be. Now I'm on my older ZX td and the brakes are fine but still feel the same as the Xsara. As yet I aint hit nothing and on a recent cam belt change the brakes were given the all clear.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Brakes: How are you bleeding them? I use a Gunsons Easy Bleed on my ZX and the pedal is firm. Have you looked the the flexible hoses. These can balloon under pressure if they are a bit old.
Turbo: Check all the pipery around the area to make sure that everything is clipped into place and not perished. Also have a look at the engine mounts. Does it still do it in neutral? If not, have a look at your driveshafts for excessive play.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

With the brakes are you sure the handbrake cables are correctly adjusted by not being too tight, having the shoes partly applied.
With the turbo the noise you discribe, sounds like possibly you have a loose conection with one of your hoses or intercooler flanges. Worth checking all the system from the turbo to the cylinder head for splits in the hoses etc, and that all joints are tight etc not having a leak.
Sooty
96 ZX TD 130,000