tyre wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

tyre wear

Post by froggy »

Hi, my S1 Xantia, Iam getting tyre wear on the front near side tyre, outside edge. The wheels have been aligned balanced three times this year, new front tyres only three months ago. front bushes look ok. should I be looking to change the bushes ? or could it be something else. I t is costing me a fortune in front tyres at the moment. Monthly mileage = 2000. thanks in advance Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: tyre wear

Post by CitroJim »

Do you have a lot of roundabouts in your locality Froggy?

Those of us lucky enough to live near Milton Keynes and unlucky enough to have to drive through it regularly find all the roundabouts cause uneven tyre wear..

Otherwise, another cause can be down to worn wishbone bushes, both the rearward 'P' and the frontal bush, which allow the wishbone to move around excessively. These are not always spotted on an MOT test.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post by froggy »

yes alot of roundabouts !
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the tracking was out you would also have excessive wear on the outside edge of the o/s tyre, just check the tread depth as the n/s normally wears fastest. If the o/s tyre is wearing unevenly the wheels are towing in to much.

Peter
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Xantia's should toe out, not in.

0 - 3mm toe out is the spec. When I did the wheel alignment on my last V6 myself using a home made laser alignment system I set it to 1.5mm toe out and the feel of the steering was spot on and there was no unusual tyre wear, even though that car had badly worn lower arm bushes...

Have the steering track rod joints been checked for play ? It's no use trying to set the wheel alignment if there is play in the joints because the tracking will then be wrong under cornering loads as the slack in the joints is taken up in each direction.

Lower swivel joint is also a possibility although I'm thinking that would also cause obvious clunks over some types of bumps.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive