Anyone successfully defapped their SID 803 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Anyone successfully defapped their SID 803 ?

Post by onthecut »

While a certain well known internet auction site is relatively awash with Lexia offerings, it seems a very different matter when it comes to whatever is needed to wipe references to the FAP system from the Siemens SID 803 ecu.

I can't get a clear picture, but it seems to me from what I've read that rewriting the code for this is not as simple as other makes of ecu -- hence my question -- has anyone here done it successfully and if so, what is required ?

Mike.
Bob L'eponge

Re: Anyone successfully defapped their SID 803 ?

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Not sure if the best option is trying to get the info from an eBay offering. How about trying the ecu modification sites. I'll be going that way with the Pug when it needs topping up. Does need more work though, depending on how far you want to go down the DIY route.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Apart from the legal issue, doesn't it cost as much to remap an ECU as it does to get the fluid topped up a couple of times anyway?

I want to get the Berlingo remapped now, but that's non of that stuff on it. I just want power.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

I think it cost me £15 or so (maybe less) for the Galetto cable - but that was on an easy to do mk1 C5. If it's not DIY- able, yes you might as well go for a power remap too. There's remaps for almost free if you can do some of the coding yourself but for most of us mere mortals it's research time on the relevant websites.
I think most of us are like you and simply want some extra shove!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I've got the know-how to do it, it's just one of those things I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing to do in case I end up with a bricked ECU. Were it not my main car and just a plaything, I'd happily have a go, but I'd just like to drive it in, get it done, and drive it out a few hours later and be able to melt the clutch plate at will.

Some extra go would be fantastic for it. I've been meaning to get it done for ages, but other things have got in the way. Now it's fully MOT'd, serviced and good for another year, I'll do it.
onthecut

Post by onthecut »

it's not just the rip off fluid cost that motivates me to be shot of the FAP nonsense, but the ludicrous additional complication it brings to the engine management in general.pretty much everything to do with FAP is not efficiency friendly; feeding hot instead of cooled combustion air; artificially loading the alternator to load the engine to increase engine temperature; putting a second major impediment in the exhaust -- particularly relevant if your car doesn't often get to the cleansing stage and that's before we get to the costs of making the filter itself, it's weight, the trips to the dealer to resolve the 'depollution fault' etc. etc.

Car makers have two prime objectives --- shift the metal and then generate as good a revenue stream as possible for the dealer network. With stuff like FAP it's almost like winning the jackpot while dressed in their eco cape.

Mike.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

onthecut wrote: it's not just the rip off fluid cost that motivates me to be shot of the FAP nonsense... Car makers have two prime objectives --- shift the metal and then generate as good a revenue stream as possible for the dealer network. With stuff like FAP it's almost like winning the jackpot while dressed in their eco cape.
But if the manufacturers don't make cars that meet the Euro pollution regulations, they (quite rightly) can't sell them in the first place. I also think that the costs associated with FAP's are greatly over stated, especially for more recent vehicles.

The FAP system on my X7 1.6 Hdi 'Airdream' seems to be designed for a 200,000 km / 120,000 mile service life without needing attention. I had thought the fluid would need topping up when I had done the equivalent of 90,000 miles but I found that it was still fine, still having 600ml of fluid left, probably because these later models use less fluid then the first generation ones. From the readings I have recorded on my Diagbox since I bought the car my particular car only uses around 12ml of fluid per 100l of fuel. That equates to around 67 ml per 10,000 km, so a litre top-up at around 35 Euros is good for about 140,000km, so the cost per km is pretty much negligible. (Resetting the system on my car also shows a 'full' value of 1820ml, which again pretty much equates to an expected service life of 200,000 km, with a 500ml 'buffer' of fluid remaining.) OK, so I am going to have to have my filter cleaned or exchanged at some point, but that is a small price to pay for having a car that does not pump black clouds of cancerous particles into everyone's air! 8-)
onthecut

Post by onthecut »

If your system works fine and they have been improved on later cars--- great. In my case it is the FAP system that is generating two or three persistent fault codes and I am absolutely not spending an unknown amount of time and cash to fix what I consider to be a questionable system in the first place.

The question of emissions is surely only part of a much bigger debate, which would include the environmental costs of manufacturing these systems; the environmental cost of scrapping otherwise sound vehicles due to expensive or difficult to diagnose electrical systems failures and so forth. Too easy to pick on just one aspect of a car as some sort of moral passport while turning a blind eye to a much bigger picture.

A debate worthy of its own thread !

Mike.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

onthecut wrote:If your system works fine and they have been improved on later cars--- great. In my case it is the FAP system that is generating two or three persistent fault codes and I am absolutely not spending an unknown amount of time and cash to fix what I consider to be a questionable system in the first place.

The question of emissions is surely only part of a much bigger debate, which would include the environmental costs of manufacturing these systems; the environmental cost of scrapping otherwise sound vehicles due to expensive or difficult to diagnose electrical systems failures and so forth. Too easy to pick on just one aspect of a car
It's air pollution. That's the only debate here. As long as the systems are manufactured in a way that creates less particles in the air than they prevent then it's a winning situation. The other debate is about using the planets resources which unless we all stop driving and using things made of metal, plastic, leather etc we are all guilty of.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

[quote="northern_mike"][quote="onthecut"]If your system works fine and they have been improved on later cars--- great. In my case it is the FAP system that is generating two or three persistent fault codes and I am absolutely not spending an unknown amount of time and cash to fix what I consider to be a questionable system in the first place.

The question of emissions is surely only part of a much bigger debate, which would include the environmental costs of manufacturing these systems; the environmental cost of scrapping otherwise sound vehicles due to expensive or difficult to diagnose electrical systems failures and so forth. Too easy to pick on just one aspect of a car [/quote]

It's air pollution. That's the only debate here. As long as the systems are manufactured in a way that creates less particles in the air than they prevent then it's a winning situation. The other debate is about using the planets resources which unless we all stop driving and using things made of metal, plastic, leather etc we are all guilty of.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Agree 100%, IF the car cannot pass its pollutant standards then it should not be on the road. This may very well be a economic decision however I bet 60% of that cost is labour. Part of the "cost" of running these great cars is the maintenance of its anti-pollutant systems. This is a SAFETY System advance as much as a Disk Brake is over drums.

I cannot blame a design or a standard that ultimately protects me and my loved ones from the very thing I am driving !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes. One wouldn't buy a Ferrari and disable half the cylinders, so why buy a modern car with all this stuff if you don't agree with it? Go and buy some old tat with none of it on.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's one beautiful aspect of being in a "low rust" country, sad the pickings are getting scarcer.