Old C5 to newer C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

centurus2400

Old C5 to newer C5

Post by centurus2400 »

After 13 and a half years, 170,00 miles, being rear ended by a Volvo, and later on a Police car, and being attacked by a steel gate, I have finally pensioned off my rather tired C5 estate.

It has been replaced by…another C5 estate :-)

This time it is an 08 reg 2.0 litre 160 hp Exclusive tourer. Full leather interior, auto box, panoramic glass roof, privacy glass and so on.The only option it doesn't have are the xenon headlamps but I can live with that. Full service history too.

The only thing I can see is that the rear discs are going to need changing in the not too distant future. Stupid question but does the handbrake on these still operate on the front wheels? I assume you need a Lexia to disable it in order to change the pads and discs safely?
Having done the rears a couple of times on my Mark 1, and having the scars to prove it, I'm not afraid of tackling it though.

Regards

Philip
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Old C5 to newer C5

Post by jgra1 »

no idea Philip :)

how do you find the new car? incomparable?

John
centurus2400

Post by centurus2400 »

Only taken it for a test drive so far John, and will be picking it up next Monday.
However, I was extremely impressed with it - a very nice car to drive.
Having not driven an auto for some years, these modern boxes are a revelation. The changes up and down the box are so smooth its unbelievable.

As for being able to both heat and massage my bottom whilst driving, that is real progress!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

With a good number of the Mk1's now getting close to the big scrap yard in the sky it begs the question (one I am also facing due to the laws of gravity and a bad habit :) )

?? ............a late Mk2 Facelift OR a Early X7...................??
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mk2 it's on the front. MK3 (X7) it's on the rear - high spec models have electronic actuation (given your description I suspect it is an X7 with electronic). It's the same as our C4 Picasso I think - you can change the pads without Lexia - just disable the auto set of the handbrake via the menu, then un hook the cables and change the pads as normal. Once you have finished, press the brake pedal to adjust up the pads / mechanism before attempting to re-engage the handbrake. A wind back tool is probably advised to help with the job - it makes it so much easier! Likely that one side will need a LH thread tool.
Richard W
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yep, on the back and electronic on the X7 Exclusive. Don't think you will be able to massage your bum though, only your back. The lumbar support moves up and down. Nice on a long journey. The seat back settings are also a revelation as it splits so you can bring the top half forward without moving the lower half. Superb.
You will still be finding little "extras" this time next year. (4 door "puddle lights", 4 foot-well lights, ambient "mood lights" below the dash, Window blinds, the list just goes on. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
The down side? A truly awful lack of "cubbies" on the saloon. Door pockets too narrow and "cup holder" in the central storage about as useful as a one legged man at an a*se kicking contest. (you have to empty the box, and flip up the "cup ring".) :|
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I think electric handbrake goes hand in hand with hydropneumatic suspension. So, if the C5 X7 you are looking for has a normal handbrake, just forget it. :D

All exclusives are luckily with real suspension.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

All X7 Exclusive cars have electric brake I think.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.