2002 citroen c5 estate 2.0 hdi speedo fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walker34743

2002 citroen c5 estate 2.0 hdi speedo fault

Post by walker34743 »

hi guys. new on here but had my c5 for approx. 2 years. had a problem with speedo stopping working but used sat nav for speed info until hit a speed camera and had to go on a driver awareness course to avoid 3 points on my clean licence :rofl2: purchased a second hand instrument cluster and fitted. went for test drive and found was registering 5mph low so reset needle. all ok til I went out next day and speedo stopped working after 1/2 mile. any suggestions on cause for this? was thinking possibly speed sensor but don't know where this is located to check. have spare stepper motor on old cluster from rev counter but reluctant to use if same thing going to happen. located in Sheffield. thanks in advance.
Alan
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: 2002 citroen c5 estate 2.0 hdi speedo fault

Post by myglaren »

Not an uncommon problem.
As you have worked out, the stepper motor is one of the prime causes of failure but also dry joints.
If you carefully examine the soldering on the board you might spot the problem and be able to refresh the connections with a soldering iron/gun.

Have you any other mysterious electrical problems?
The C5 is very sensitive to low voltages caused by a depleted or failing battery. A thorough check is recommended and a full charge if it is suspect.
Be aware of the procedure for battery removal and refitting.
walker34743

Post by walker34743 »

thanks myglaren but battery only 6 months old. can.t understand why, when I replaced the whole cluster the speedo stopped after 1 day. will try a full reset as per the battery removal/ replacement link at work tomorrow
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Does it still count up miles as you drive ? There is no separate speed sensor for the speedo, it uses the speed information from the ABS system for the speedo.
walker34743

Post by walker34743 »

hello wheeler,
still clocks up mileage, miles to go/ travelled, mpg, average speed etc.
does the speedo run on same wire as odometer(digital) etc?
thinking possibly a loose wire in instrument cluster plug?