How do citaerobics work

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

How do citaerobics work

Post by Nikolaymk »

I tried the citaerobics today and found they really work - my Xantia's ride suddenly smoothened (Easy to test with all the speed bumps around). Does anyone know what are the physics behind this and what exactly happens.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Nikolay -
It's in fact very simple [;)]
The whole suspension system is designed to work with hydraulic LHM oil with high pressure. This oil is in NO way flexible - it simply acts as adjustable lenght solid rods - connecting the wheels to the spring element : the suspension sphere.
Air in the suspension means you have air "bubbles" in the hydraulic oil - and suddenly you have disturbed the "solid" hydraulic rod by flexible air - allowing VERY unwanted suspension movements. This is clearly felt as harsh suspension.
The problem is in fact inherent to all hydraulic systems - even industrial species - where air (or gas) is HIGHLY unwanted - since it makes haywork in any actuator & controlling valve.
The air in turn is not allways "air" - but in fact N-gas diffusing out from the suspension sphere's rubber membrane. This is normal and inhereted by the Citroen design ever since the first sphere was made. The only way this N-gas can esacpe is into the hydraulic system.
At times it happens that the membrane in the sphere may start leaking - as a result of a micro rupture. Then the Citaerobics may be needed several times during a week to keep the suspension soft.
But of course it ends up with a flat suspension sphere rather fast then.
(Oooops - hit the submit button too early [:o)])
During Citaerobics the air (n-gas) is drawn back to the reservoir by the returning LHM with a lowering suspension. The air is then simply vented in the reservoir.
To ensure all the air is withdrawn - you do the height recycling - to make the LHM flushing the suspension system.