Clutch dragging or gear cables?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

abs66

Clutch dragging or gear cables?

Post by abs66 »

Hi Guys,

I have a Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi Manual on a 04' plate and I'm having problems with 4th gear being stiff to get into.
I was assuming from all my searches that this is due to gear linkage cables being past their best, but I have no problem selecting 4th when the engine is not running and without my foot on the clutch. Is this the clutch dragging (whatever that is) that I've heard about but don't understand?

I'm still searching for more details on how to change the cables and wondered if any of you knowledgable people had seen a write up, tutorial or video some where of the procedure that I could refer to please.
Yes I do have a Haynes manual but I'm damned if I can find it and the shops are out of copies at the moment and at the end of the day its a Haynes manual all said and done so even if I do find it, the phrase “chocolate teapot” springs to mind!

Any tips on what tools I will require, and what pitfalls to avoid from those of you that have done this job would be immensely useful as I will have to tackle this job myself due to lack of funds for a garage at present.

Has any one had this problem and was it clutch dragging or the cables? Your opinions would be gratefully received.

I have just about everything crossed at present that some kind knowledgable soul will enlighten me.

Kind Regards
Pete
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Clutch dragging or gear cables?

Post by RichardW »

Pete

Seems like an odd one... Clutch drag is simply when the clutch doesn't disengage properly - generally this gives trouble in reverse / first mostly. You'd know if you had this, as the bite point would be right on the floor. That it gives trouble only when the engine is running is suggestive of an internal box problem... but it could be the cables! I recall from when I had a Xsara Pic Haynes that there is a procedure for adjusting the cables, and also the replacement procedure. I rather fancy it's not very easy!! I would be inclined to check the cable adjustment, and then check for leaks around the drive shafts, and then change the oil (use only 75W80 oil!), and see where this gets you.
Richard W
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

sounds like a gearbox problem. As Richard says clutch drag is normally a problem in lower gears, the higher up the box you go the less it is an issue. The fact that it goes in ok when switched off makes it seem unlikely that it's a cable issue. You'll also probably find that you can select 4th ok with the engine running if you are stationary. If so it's definitely an issue with the 4th gear internally
abs66

Post by abs66 »

Thanks for the replies, I'll get right on with checking through those ideas one by one.
I'll feed back on results.
Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated.
abs66

Post by abs66 »

Errrrr I can select 4th no problem with the engine running but stationary. Reverse is also a bit tricky but it always goes in with a small amount of persuasion.
I'm wondering now if the cars worth saving if it needs a new box. Anyone had to buy one recently and know the costs please?